If your question isn't answered here, just ask.
What is Universe Sandbox ²?
Universe Sandbox ² is a complete rewrite of the original and has been in development since fall 2011.
It is no longer a one-person project; the new team has added a dedicated physics programmer, astrophysicist, climate scientist, graphics programmer, code architect, and technical artist to bring all of the pieces together.
Learn more on our Universe Sandbox ² page.
When will it be available?
What does "alpha" mean?
Universe Sandbox ² is still alpha software. We have many fixes and improvements planned. You, the early access user, will help us uncover bugs and highlight areas for improvement. Buying-in early means you won't have to wait to explore the many new and exciting features that are already in place. Just know that all of the final polish isn't quite there yet.
What platforms does Universe Sandbox ² run on?
Windows, Mac, and Linux/Steam OS.
Does Universe Sandbox ² support multi-core processing?Yes.
How about a 64-bit version?Yes. We plan to release a 64-bit version for all platforms.
Wasn't the new version going to be called Universe Sandbox 3?
For a time we called it Universe Sandbox 3, but we've decided it will be less confusing for most users to call it Universe Sandbox ².
Thanks for being dedicated fans who are paying enough attention to realize the inconsistency here. Hopefully everything is now clear.
Preliminary minimum requirements for running Universe Sandbox ²:
- DirectX9.0c (Windows) or OpenGL (Max, Linux)
- 512MB Video Memory
- Shader Model 3.0
- 1.6GHz dual core
- 1GB RAM
- 1GB free disk space
Recommended: 1GB Video Memory, 2.6 GHZ quad-core, 4GB RAM
What's New &
What new features are in Universe Sandbox ²?
Some of the new features include:
- Climate simulation
- Advanced collision simulation
- Stellar evolution and supernovae
- Material & composition simulation
- Animated star surfaces and solar flares
- Light-warping black holes
- Dark matter
- Procedural surfaces and planets
Read more about what's new in Universe Sandbox ².
Will there be a mobile version?Maybe. It is possible, but we wouldn't begin development until after the final release for PC, Mac, and Linux.
Will there be a free version?We're discussing the possibility of a feature-limited version, but not until after the initial release.
Will it support other languages beyond English?After the initial release, we plan to incorporate support for additional languages.
Will there be sound effects and/or music?Yes, we are working with a composer and sounds effect artist. If you'd rather experience the silent desolation of space, though, there will be an option to turn these off.
Will you be able to simulate evolution/life on planets?We plan to incorporate very basic support for "life." Essentially, given the right conditions — temperature, atmosphere, water, etc. — life may grow on planets. Greater complexity may be developed in the future, but it's a long way off.
Will there be support for Steam Workshop?We plan to add support for Steam Workshop that will, in the least, allow for sharing user-created simulations.
How about modding?Making it easy for the community to create mods is a great idea. "Light" modding will hopefully be available by release, with more extensive modding possibilities made possible later on.
Universe Sandbox ²
Questions about use of Universe Sandbox ² coming soon.
Simulation questions about Universe Sandbox ² coming soon.
Can I create content with Universe Sandbox ² for use in other products?
Yes, you may use screenshots and video from Universe Sandbox ² for use in other works/products.
Are there other programs like Universe Sandbox ²?
- Fling Planets or redefine the forumal for gravity in this easy to use 2D simuatlor.
- Gravity simulator with both a free trial and full version for Windows PCs.
- Extremely impressive feature list and comprehensive simulator.
- An n-body simulator similar in concept to Universe Sandbox and capable of scale simulations of our Solar System.
- Using the rotating frame feature, you can easily study the complex orbital relationship between the various moons of Saturn, or the relationship between Earth's orbit and the horseshoe orbit of 3753 Cruithne, an asteroid often referred to as "Earth's 2nd moon".
- It also includes some advanced features for recording data that can be graphed in a spreadsheet app.
- Gravity Simulator is for Windows PCs.
- A gravity simulator available for both Mac and Windows as a 15 day trial.
- Uses Newton's Law of Gravitation to run scale simulations of our Solar System.
- Free, realistic space flight and gravity simulation program for Windows PCs.
- Explore the solar system in realistic and fictional spacecraft.
- Build your own rockets, launch them, crash them, land on the moon.
- Not a full gravity simulator as only one planet or moon acts on the spacecraft at a time, but still really great.
Are there other physics sandboxes?
- Physics based 2D sandbox (for things here on Earth).
- Commercial software for Windows and Mac OS X.
- Physics based 3D sandbox (for human sized objects).
- It's a game Windows and Mac.
- A simple gravity simulator that's more aesthetic than representative of reality.
- Runs under Linux, Windows and Mac OS X.
What are some astronomy apps that don't simulate gravity?
- A space simulator that lets you explore our universe in three dimensions (but it's not interactive and doesn't simulate gravity).
- All movement in Celestia is seamless and you can zoom from the Earth to the edge of our Galaxy.
- Celestia runs on Windows, Linux, and Mac.
- From the creator of Celestia, is an easy to use and beautiful solar system visualization tool for Mac only.
- Our solar system and NASA mission data.
- Runs in a browser.
- Created by JPL & NASA.
- A free program from Hayden Planetarium for Windows, Mac, Linux, and IRIX.
- Includes data on thousands of stars and galaxies.
- This is not a gravity simulator, only a viewer.
- Free simulator with both real and procedural content allowing unlimited exploration of our galaxy.
- 3D space simulation with lots of great visuals.
- Free planetarium for your computer (not a gravity simulator).
- Runs under Linux, Windows and Mac OS X.
- Solar system 3D exploration tool developed in the Unreal 3D engine.
- Tools for creating sci-fi space maps.
What about electrostatic simulations?
I know of nothing as full featured as Universe Sandbox, but a user sent me links to these:
- Free and easy to use.
- Expensive and designed for education specifically.
- Chemistry resource and visualization tool.
- Mac only.
- Easy to use visualization tool for iOS (iPhone & iPad).
And life simulation?
- A realistic evolution simulator.
- Free alpha versions.
Download & Installation
I bought Universe Sandbox ² but I don't know how to download it.
Shortly after receiving payment confirmation from either Amazon or PayPal, you should receive an email from Humble Bundle. This email will link you to a key page with your Steam code.
If you did not receive an email, try using the Humble Bundle key resender: humblebundle.com/?s=resender
Make sure it is not being sorted into your spam box.
I clicked on the link in the Humble Bundle email. Now what?Click the Steam button at the top of your Humble key page to generate your Steam code.
Open the Steam application and log in. Click the "+ ADD A GAME…" button in the bottom left-hand corner. Select "Activate a Product on Steam..." When it asks for a Product Code, enter the Steam code from your Humble key page.
For detailed step-by-step instructions, check out Humble Bundle's support page.
Do I need Steam in order to install and run Universe Sandbox ²?Yes, you will need the free software and account. You can download Steam and create an account on their site: store.steampowered.com/about.
We have not yet decided whether or not we will release a DRM-free version along with the final Steam release. It's a strong possibility that we will, but as it stands, Steam provides the easiest and most efficient platform for distribution and updates.
What is Steam?Steam is a digital distributor and publisher of video games and other software. For developers, it provides an efficient platform for all steps of distribution. It makes it easy to implement anti-piracy tools, connect with users, and release frequent updates.
For players, it makes it easy to access a large catalog of games and organize them in a single spot, as well as receive updates automatically. It is also host to a large and vibrant community of gamers. You can read more about Steam on their site: store.steampowered.com/about.
How much does Universe Sandbox ² cost?
Individuals, Teachers, Schools, & Non-Profits
- Instant access to the alpha versions of Universe Sandbox ² is $24.99 USD.
- There are currently no educational discounts for Universe Sandbox ², and future plans for discounts have not yet been determined. The original Universe Sandbox is free for all schools.
Commercial & For-Profit
- A special license is required for using images or video created with Universe Sandbox ². Please contact sales to inquire about a commercial license.
I don't have a PayPal or Amazon account. Is there any other way to pay for it?You do not need a PayPal account to use the PayPal checkout option. All you need is a debit or credit card.
After entering your email address, choose "Checkout with PayPal" then select "Pay with a debit or credit card, or PayPal Credit."
If I buy the alpha version now do I have to buy Universe Sandbox ² again when the final version is released?
No, a single purchase gives you instant access to the alpha plus all updates up to and including the final release.
Will Universe Sandbox ² become more/less expensive as development continues?It's possible the price will change in the future, but we have no plans to change it at this time.
If I bought Universe Sandbox will I receive Universe Sandbox ² for free?
No, Universe Sandbox ² is not just an upgrade, it's a completely new product. You can read more about why in this post.
Do I need a special license to use screenshots and video generated with Universe Sandbox ² for commercial purposes?
- Yes. Please contact sales to inquire about a commercial license.
- Using video or images for non-commercial or educational use is encouraged and doesn't require a license. Please credit Universe Sandbox ² and include a link back to universesandbox.com.
When was Universe Sandbox first released?
Universe Sandbox was original released in 2008 with a major update released in 2010.