Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Life around Red Dwarfs just got tougher  (Read 4248 times)

smjjames

Life around Red Dwarfs just got tougher
« on: February 10, 2012, 10:30:38 AM »
http://www.space.com/14535-alien-planets-water-tidal-forces.html

Seriously, they need to make the article titles more specific because the article states that 'tidal venuses', as they call them, wouldn't happen around stars like ours (F, G, and K class) since they'd have to be so close that the radiation alone would render such a planet uninhabitable anyway. Think of some of the hottest jupiters that we have found, that close or even closer.

The article is saying that Red Dwarfs from about a third of the suns mass downward (from around M3 class and downwards), planets around brown dwarfs and dead stars such as White Dwarfs and Pulsars (assuming the planets survive the stars death) would likely see this kind of fate.

Also, they've been looking at a single planet and star evolving together, up next is simulating multiple planets and possibly binary stars.

It would be AWESOME if US3 could simulate tidal effects because we already have a very good (admittedly probably not at the same precision the researchers are using) gravity simulator.

Anyways, it's time we stopped looking at red dwarf stars (although Kepler is looking at every star it can see) and started looking more at class F to K type stars for planets in their habitable zones.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 10:37:09 AM by smjjames »

FiahOwl

• This is, to give a dog and in recompense desire my dog again.
Re: Life around Red Dwarfs just got tougher
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 10:43:16 AM »

This message is only viewable with Universe Sandbox Galaxy Edition. Access it and much more with promo-code '58351'.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 02:29:05 AM by FiahOwl »

smjjames

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 10:48:52 AM »
It still doesn't make life emerging around red dwarf stars impossible, just harder. We all know how resilient life is on Earth, and we don't know the full spectrum of where and how life can evolve.

Omnigeek6

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 11:05:28 PM »
I see that space.com subscribes to the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rare_Earth_hypothesis. Either that, or one of their authors is an alien from a planet orbiting a red dwarf who wants to keep his home secret from humans by ending the search for life around M-class stars.

Anyway, it seems like tidal heating could push planets in the inner habitable zone over the edge, but could also rescue a few would-be snowball earths.

Much of the tidal heating might also occur early in the system's history, perhaps before oceans condensed.

In the case of an orbital resonance, interaction with a giant planet, or spin-orbit resonance, the entire habitable zone just moves outward.

dhm794

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 01:04:19 PM »
Aw man, I was planning on taking a vacation to Proxima Centauri this summer =(

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 05:48:44 AM »
I could do that anyways, so I don't get why you need oxygen and water.

FiahOwl

• This is, to give a dog and in recompense desire my dog again.
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 05:50:48 AM »

This message is only viewable with Universe Sandbox Galaxy Edition. Access it and much more with promo-code '60240'.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 02:19:51 AM by FiahOwl »

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
  • caught in the river turning blue
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 08:15:12 PM »
Jumping on the bandwagon here, a bit late, to say:

Darn I was going to go to Gliese 876. :(