Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Add a temporary UI for VR to use features not yet added  (Read 3246 times)

leigero

Add a temporary UI for VR to use features not yet added
« on: November 27, 2016, 09:37:06 PM »
I noticed that the VR part of this sandbox does not include a lot of features and functionality that are part of the original application. I'm not sure about other VR peripherals, but with the Vive, you can go into "desktop mode" within the headset and use your computer. I can do this to add black holes, galaxies or rings for example, but these options are not available inside the VR headset.

Ironically, though, if you add these on the desktop they do render and work just fine in VR.

The point:
There are a lot of features missing on the VR version that are present in the desktop version, and these features work JUST FINE in the VR version.

Can there be a temporary (if not permanent) way to add these features within the VR component so that the player doesn't have to go to their computer do add them and switch between VR and computer versions to access the features?

Jar

• Developer
    • Universe Sandbox
Re: Add a temporary UI for VR to use features not yet added
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 12:13:19 PM »
You're absolutely right that the VR version is missing a lot of the features that are now in the desktop Alpha 19 Disintegration Update.

The good news is that we are working hard on a VR update which will include the improvements made in Alpha 19. This won't take nearly as long as the desktop update took. :)

Then after that, we plan to merge the two versions so they can be updated at the same time.

leigero

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 04:55:28 PM »
You guys are doing amazing work. As a software engineer, I find the speed and accuracy of your releases impressive and I'm very pleased with the results. I wish I were on your team ;)

Angel Armageddon

• Destruction!
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 05:12:47 PM »
You're absolutely right that the VR version is missing a lot of the features that are now in the desktop Alpha 19 Disintegration Update.

The good news is that we are working hard on a VR update which will include the improvements made in Alpha 19. This won't take nearly as long as the desktop update took. :)

Then after that, we plan to merge the two versions so they can be updated at the same time.

I would like to know something.

What's the point of VR in Universe Sandbox^2?
VR is, and only should be, used to represent a "first person perspective" in games like gta5, etc. but instead of using a cc controller, or mouse, the user uses her/his head to look around in the games world.
But it seems pointless in a gravity/physics simulator....

CDMJR

• Reality is an illusion
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 05:39:00 PM »

I would like to know something.

What's the point of VR in Universe Sandbox^2?
VR is, and only should be, used to represent a "first person perspective" in games like gta5, etc. but instead of using a cc controller, or mouse, the user uses her/his head to look around in the games world.
But it seems pointless in a gravity/physics simulator....

But Universe Sandbox 2 in VR is indeed from a first person perspective. Even so, I do not believe that VR (or any technology) should be limited to only one purpose. VR is certainly not only meant to simulate the first person in games or videos, even though that is the predominant driving force for the development of the technology and arguably one of the biggest markets. There are plenty of other market sectors for VR including education, healthcare, construction and more. And there are VR platforms already either on the market or in development for each of those applications, I've seen some of them and they are game changers.

As a new owner of a VR platform, I can say that until I tried Universe Sandbox 2 in VR, I had no idea what I was missing.

Universe Sandbox 2 is a completely different experience in VR, it is absolutely amazing to interact with planets as if you are actually a participant in it, versus looking at it on a 2d flatscreen monitor.

Universe Sandbox 2 in VR is absolutely a valid effort and an incredible experience. I hope you get a chance to try it on the vive and am confident you would be convinced to its merit and how powerful of an experience it is.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 06:22:05 PM by CDMJR »