Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Landmark Labels?  (Read 2304 times)

Megabrandon

Landmark Labels?
« on: October 12, 2016, 06:12:08 PM »
Hello everyone.

I was using this in conjuncture with a National Geographic space atlas I have and I was reading about how the impact crater on Mercury (Caloris Basin) formed rolling hills on the opposite side of the original impact from the shock-waves rippling through the planets body. I'm interested to see what it looks like but I can't really find anything by eye alone. Is there a way to turn on or obtain places of interest on each planet? Or maybe a way for me to add some sort of pin on the surface to make it easier to locate important geographical locations?

The Ventifact

• I am the Creator...
Re: Landmark Labels?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 04:46:13 PM »
As of right now, you can't. And considering the focus of Universe Sandbox 2 is gravity and physics, we may never see a feature like this. However, it is a good idea, I've never considered something like this before. 

Angel Armageddon

• Destruction!
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 12:32:34 PM »
I heard that they would like to make the surfaces of the planets, and other planets that don't exist in real life, more of a surfaces view similar to that of Space Engine, but said nothing about visible landmarks, as in buildings, and cities, if that is what you were talking about.  ;)   

Megabrandon

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 02:01:00 PM »
That would be a great, and very ambitious idea to have the visible landmarks like buildings and stuff, but I also understand the major constraints that comes with a system like that. I was more hoping just for a pin on the surface of major landmarks. Like having a small text label identifying for example; where Olympus Mons lies on Mars. It could even perhaps be a community guided collaborative effort. So for example, if x number of people pin Olympus Mons in their own copies of US2; then it could be uploaded to the admins or trusted members of the community and added in a later update. Or some sort of similar system where all the effort to identify major landmarks aren't on the shoulders of the devs, but a nice addition by committed members of the amateur astronomy, and dedicated US2 users.

tesco

• Sauce
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 06:50:44 AM »
that sounds pretty cool