Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Habitable conditions  (Read 3704 times)

Naima

Habitable conditions
« on: November 17, 2014, 05:40:59 AM »
How can I do to set experiments so that I han have earthlike planets in weird customized systems ? Like binary stars, rigel like suns , more than one moon and so on ?

Gordon Freeman

Re: Habitable conditions
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 07:11:53 AM »
View>Habitable Zones>On

Naima

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 06:07:38 PM »
I mean a system that forces the only options to make the planet exhist, all times I do experiments my planet usually slides into the larger star , or is instable , or gets dehydrated etc ...

Gordon Freeman

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 09:46:54 PM »
No, no such feature exists, and I don't think it will come soon, either, considering the kind of math involved in such a calculation.

Currently, if you wait for the Add Barycenter & Make Binary buttons, as well as the merging of habitable zones and hill spheres, you should be able to make habitable binary systems.

Naima

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 03:21:41 AM »
what are those?

smjjames

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 09:38:07 AM »
what are those?

A barycenter is, in the simplest terms, the center of mass for the whole system. Right now, you can't set up a barycenter. The buttons are there, but the system doesn't actually work.

It is possible to get two stars into a binary orbit by having one orbit the other, but you can't have things orbit the two because theres no barycenter to use as a center point. Or rather the barycenter is there, the program just doesn't know how to do it.