Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Kevin Warwick about Cyborgs  (Read 14766 times)

Bla

• Global Moderator
  • The stars died so you can live.
Kevin Warwick about Cyborgs
« on: March 14, 2010, 01:50:23 AM »
Watch this.

It's an interesting video about cyborgs. What do you Think about it?
Are you looking forward to a Future as an cyborg with a much more powerful Brain, or do you think it's wrong?

I must admit that it sounds like a beautiful Future if we could expand the capabilities of our Brains that way. Just Think about how our Science would advance, and our Technology...

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
  • caught in the river turning blue
    • Paladin of Storms
Re: Kevin Warwick about Cyborgs
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 09:00:30 AM »
ummm... no thanks...

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 10:32:28 AM »
Why not? Think about how fantastic it could be. You could remember everything in your life, you could just upload your thoughts to someone else, you could explain everything perfectly that way. You could calculate any number extremely fast. You would never need any notes or stuff like that. You wouldn't have to try to remember a language, you could just install it! The same about books.

There are so many fantastic things awaiting if we accept Science fully. :)

deoxy99

• Universe Sandbox 1 Beta Team
  • ✨ the name's verb ✨
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 12:24:12 PM »
I don't want to become one, if I had the choice. It might be painful to turn into one, and I might not like it, because I am smart already.

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 12:54:33 PM »
I don't think you will suddenly turn into one, but the society will probably move towards being cyborgs. Of course, we can't be born with the artificial devices, since our genes don't code for it.

But the start could be sensors circulating in our blood, sensing our blood pressure, perhaps the amount of sugar in the blood, detecting viruses/bacteriae/parasites/prirons/cancer etc. and lots of useful stuff, making us know how to improve our health and making us know if we get cancer or any disease very fast.
Wouldn't that be useful? Isn't Technology beautiful? :'(

Perhaps we could consider our first step to be mobile phones, walkmen, even watches. They sit on our body and do useful stuff. And definetly pacemakers, for people with heart problems.

Man shalt merge with machines!  >:( ;D :P

And even though you're smart, it doesn't mean the technology won't be useful. Consider a storage device for your thoughts, where you can nearly instantly access any thought without forgetting them, while you're able to share your thoughts directly without having to explain and speak just to give a weak image of it. Consider a calculator,  so you can calculate anything within your head, just like a real calculator.

deoxy99

• ✨ the name's verb ✨
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 01:06:27 PM »
I sometimes need to remember what I was going to say, because I sometimes forget. Once, I needed to ask dad what a specific road sign meant, but I couldn't say it in a way so dad understood.

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 04:42:30 PM »
Why not? Think about how fantastic it could be. You could remember everything in your life, you could just upload your thoughts to someone else, you could explain everything perfectly that way. You could calculate any number extremely fast. You would never need any notes or stuff like that. You wouldn't have to try to remember a language, you could just install it! The same about books.

There are so many fantastic things awaiting if we accept Science fully. :)

You forgot something! You wouldn't be you!

Everyone would be EXACTLY the same... There would be no diversity at all!!!

deoxy99

• ✨ the name's verb ✨
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 04:54:31 PM »
You forgot something! You wouldn't be you!

Everyone would be EXACTLY the same... There would be no diversity at all!!!
Actually, the outer layer could look human, but inside you wouldn't be human.

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 05:39:00 PM »
What I meant was your thoughts would be the same!!

deoxy99

• ✨ the name's verb ✨
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 06:08:14 PM »
That still allows diversity, because of the difference with people's looks.

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2010, 07:08:58 PM »
Again, diversity of thoughts and actions will not exist.

deoxy99

• ✨ the name's verb ✨
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 07:58:32 PM »
Again, diversity of thoughts and actions will not exist.
Yes, I know that, but the only diversity existent would be the way we look.

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2010, 10:51:08 PM »
Diversity of thoughts will exist. The technology only helps your brain, it doesn't replace it. ;)

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2010, 11:19:23 PM »
maybe a calculator, but... yeah... no thanks.

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2010, 11:21:22 PM »
Artificial intelligencies can also be different. :)

But yes, if you had something to store all your memories for easy access, you would also remember the bad things. But, they could be deleted from the storage thing. Hmm. I think I read that the human brain could process only about 10 - 20 bits per second. What about a faster processor? ;)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 11:44:36 PM by Bla »

deoxy99

• ✨ the name's verb ✨
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2010, 09:32:26 AM »
How about a 5 GHz processor? That would be fast and a calculator is about that fast.

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2010, 09:45:10 AM »
what? Why is it measured in hertz? That's wavelength!

deoxy99

• ✨ the name's verb ✨
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2010, 10:18:05 AM »
It's the way we measure the clock speed.

SuperNova

• ROW ROW, FIGHT THE POWAH!
    • Dreadnaught BG
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2010, 09:28:05 AM »
i don't trust it.
changing nature isnt good.
people are good the way they are. robot will control humans, that isn't right

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2010, 10:00:46 AM »
i don't trust it.
*thumb up* - 1
*thumb down* - 0

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2010, 10:45:13 AM »
People are good the way they are, yes. I must admit that if I could be changed by Technology, I could be a lot better, maybe even without being a cyborg. Some people just hate the way they are or who they are born as, and if Science can help them, I think that's only a good thing (unfortunately, it can't in most cases yet, including my case, even though there is complete Scientific evidence that my error is something I was born with).

I think giving people the ability to change things they are born with, which are problems for many, is also a bit controversial, because that would remove diversity and allow people to say "just go over and get your personality changed", especially for those who actually wanted to be the way they were born. That's not ok, and the best way would be to say people are born the way they're born, and that's ok and good and perfect and stuff, and then let them live their life as themself.

But we've changed nature since we first started having farms and stuff like that. It isn't natural for a billion straws of the same species to grow in perfect lines all alone in a trillion square meter field, with a mix of poo and pee being poured over it frequently from our beautiful machines, which are also so kind to harvest them once or a couple of times a year. :P
Our cities are no way near nature, with the roads and buildings. And we pollute alot, which I am against of course. But sometimes we can change nature without harming it, benefiting from it, that's my point.
And nature is also harsh. If someone were disabled for example, he/she would probably die in nature (depending on how serious the disability is). Again, we've changed nature by giving people wheelchairs and stuff like that, which has saved their lives, and I guess we can all agree that that one was a great change to nature.

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2010, 12:16:18 PM »
Maybe jus tthe calculator thing and and an external storage for memory, i have a problem with forgetting things!

deoxy99

• ✨ the name's verb ✨
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2010, 11:29:09 AM »
i don't trust it.
This is a place where grammar is needed. Please use capital letters in the beginning, if you want, but you don't have to.

Naru523

• let's walk the true path of life
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2010, 04:00:56 PM »
This is a place where grammar is needed. Please use capital letters in the beginning, if you want, but you don't have to.

Who cares, it's a free country...
except in some places that is :P

qwew80

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2010, 03:37:49 PM »
There are three main points I would like to make:

1. This short, nine-minute video has just turned one of my longest-lived fantasies and book ideas into a reality. Thanks for that.

2. The human mind can, as Mr. Warwick pointed out, percieve things in only three dimensions. If we were to slowly turn ourselves into cyborgs, not only could we percieve things differently, but improve our brain capacity as well. This could also improve our lifespans, as we could create perfect replicas of certain organs, and then be taken to the hospital to have them replaced. With a higher brain capacity, the mind may be able to accept this sudden change much more readily than it could now.

3. With this new technology and improved perception, we may be able to predict certain things that could happen. From a scientific and mathematical perception, a human personality is nearly impossible to map out. NEARLY. It could take decades, but, by measuring just about everything possible on this earth and then some, you could predict the future. It would just take centuries of measuring and diagramming. With an improved perception, however, we could do that much quicker, and wouldn't have to put so much time into it.

However, this all does raise morality questions. I suppose that we will need to see how the world plays out to see if this kind of thing will be possible in the near future.