Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Make rocky & gas planets & spherical human objects smooth  (Read 3933 times)

Cesare

• Universe Sandbox 2 is my favourite simulator.
    • Cesare Vesdani
Make rocky & gas planets & spherical human objects smooth
« on: April 26, 2018, 06:15:42 AM »
I have noticed when zooming in very close to any rocky & gas planets & spherical human sized objects, the edges of the objects don't appear to be smooth, nor perfectly spherical. The outline of the objects appears to have bending lines like polygons such as hexagons, octogons and other similar shapes. The edges must be smoothed out by using an anti aliasing that is extremely powerful.

My graphics setting in Universe Sandbox 2 are set to high details and this does not solve the problem. An update must be released to resolve the issue with jagged lines when zooming in very close to the edges of celestial objects and human sized objects.

Physics_Hacker

Re: Make rocky & gas planets & spherical human objects smooth
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 02:40:59 PM »
Spheres don't really exist in computer graphics. Look close enough at any "sphere" created by a computer and you will see polygons, this is inevitable due to the limited resolution and computing power that is currently possible, and antialiasing will only blur the sharp edges of the polygons, it won't fix it, you will always be able to tell a sphere is composed of polygons. Increasong the number of polygons makes the surface smoother but also is harder to process, meaning there will be more lag. Comprimises must be made, and the developers have decided to give us good performance rather than an insanely high polygon count which many users would not even notice.

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 02:58:53 PM »
Developers would have to find a way to remove those polygon lines and make surfaces round smooth.

electricpants

• Is it bad that I like ammonia planets better?
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 04:58:58 PM »
Developers would have to find a way to remove those polygon lines and make surfaces round smooth.

*facepalm* Oh my god, did you read ANYTHING he said?!

Computer's can't not make a sphere out of polygons. Computers can't process that, because to make a perfectly smooth sphere "without" polygons you'd need an uncountably infinite amount of points, that's the only way you can make a sphere without polygons, and since it involves an uncountably infinite amount of points, no computer ever could do it. Not even the most advanced civilizations a trillion years in the future could calculate this kind of thing.

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2018, 05:33:25 AM »
Even if its impossible to make a sphere perfectly smooth, at least, developer should add more polygon lines to make spherical objects appear as if they are perfectly round and smooth. Believe me, this problem can be tackled some way.

KimJammer

• Error: Null
    • My US2 Discord Server
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 05:00:56 PM »
No offense, but I think that this small visual bug is not that important nor relevant. I can definitely cope with this for better simulation of gravity, orbits and etc.

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 07:05:28 PM »
For me it bothers me because when I zoom in very close to planets they don't look smooth at all. If developers added many more polygons, the outer edges of planets would look round.

Gurren Lagann TSS

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 04:01:42 PM »
For me it bothers me because when I zoom in very close to planets they don't look smooth at all. If developers added many more polygons, the outer edges of planets would look round.

Well you are going OVERBOARDUS MAXIMUS with this, I mean, the devs don't have time to fix every single "bug" that you reported.

And I quoted bug because some of your bug reports (like this one) arent bugs!

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 07:00:38 PM »
Hopefully, Update 21 should improve the overall graphics.

TheFinnishForehead

• Gamer, Engineer, Nerd and Weeb
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2018, 04:54:40 AM »
It isn't that huge an issue to me.... I mean..... 5120x2880p resolution and in my screenshots, 51200x28800p. That's 1.47456 Gigapixels. Combine that with maximum AA (you could also enable various AA techniques from nVidia control panel to just US2 on top of the ingame AA) and you won't be seeing the edges very well, if at all. Try this out dude.

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2018, 02:15:07 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion.