Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Weather & Waves  (Read 3672 times)

tesco

• Sauce
Weather & Waves
« on: July 02, 2016, 06:00:18 AM »
I think it'd be a great idea to implement a form of weather so you can see the after-effects of an asteroid impact. For example an asteroid impacts a tropical region in the ocean causing the oceans to heat up therefore causing a hurricane. Or maybe you could see how waves form when an asteroid hits the sea and how it floods nearby regions.
Now i'm noway asking for this to be implemented in the alpha nonono. But i mean this could be added when the game is closer to it's full release. This isn't the most important thing. This actually only would be added later on maybe when the game is almost ready to be released in it's full stable version.

I think the same with my other posts too. I kinda just want this to be on the development teams 'To Do list' but not high up. I'd love for this to be added maybe early 2017 or something

DoctorWh0?

• You...shall not...pass!!!(This physics test)
Re: Weather & Waves
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 06:41:06 AM »
good  idea

acvyse

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 01:18:25 PM »
I also think this is a wonderful idea. However, I feel weather is sub-grid scale considering we are running a sandbox (numerical model) that is universe size. This sandbox will need to be run on a supercomputer. LOL.

tesco

• Sauce
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 08:04:12 AM »
Actually not really because you would only have to render this on rocky planets with continents and water

Physics_Hacker

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2016, 01:34:09 PM »
Actually not really because you would only have to render this on rocky planets with continents and water

What about weather on gas giants (which would require fluid dynamics to give realistic results) or stars (which is a hundred times harder because it relies on fluid dynamics being influenced by a complex magnetic field system)

acvyse

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2016, 09:02:16 AM »

If it is pre-rendered, than sure. But actually calculating the fluid physics to create eddies in the atmosphere would require a bit more computer power I would think.

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 11:17:53 PM »
Weather and other fluid phenomena are very computationally expensive, and US2 is already near its limit for climate modelling on the Earth.

acvyse

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2016, 07:23:38 AM »
Weather and other fluid phenomena are very computationally expensive, and US2 is already near its limit for climate modelling on the Earth.

Indeed. I work with climate models frequently and I can vouch for that. Most simulations I need to run 900+ cores.