Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Convert Universe Sandbox to HTML5 game engine  (Read 6655 times)

Cesare

• Universe Sandbox 2 is my favourite simulator.
    • Cesare Vesdani
Convert Universe Sandbox to HTML5 game engine
« on: September 16, 2019, 07:15:13 AM »
I personally think that the current game engine Unity has limitations for graphics and other opportunities. To my understanding, I suppose it would be much better if developers changes the Universe Sandbox engine to HTML5 version instead.

Tanki Online is a 3D Russian tank game which currently runs on Flash. The Flash game engine has many bugs and limitations. That is the main reason why it is phased out. Tanki Online is slowly being updated with the new HTML5 version for much better overall performance, smoother, clearer and sharper graphics and no game crashes.

Flash Version: https://tankionline.com/en/

HTML5 Version: https://tankionline.com/play/

Please can you developers change the Universe Sandbox engine to HTML5. That is to replace Unity with HTML5 for a much more stable and better experience in overall performance in simulations and graphics. What I am proposing would greatly make Universe Sandbox run much faster and smoother than it currently does not with Unity.

False Anomaly

Re: Convert Universe Sandbox to HTML5 game engine
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 03:26:18 PM »
Would it be worth the effort?

Physics_Hacker

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 07:59:59 PM »
They'd have to completely rewrite the code base and I'm pretty sure running it as a browser thing would not only not improve the performance but actually make it much worse. Ever browser application I run seems to be really slow even though I have a great computer, and I'm sure US2 in such a form would too, specially because of its nature. Running it on Unity was a choice, they did it for very good reasons.

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 12:22:35 AM »
Developers have to keep up on updating their Unity engine to make sure that performance runs better and better over time.

Lord DC

• Omnitae - Leader of Omnipotencia
    • Steam profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2020, 03:19:18 AM »
Unity is a much more complex engine than Flash or HTML 5. Although simple games like Tanki are able to run on the codebase, something as huge and complex as Universe Sandbox simply would not work.

Unity may require updating from time to time but that comes with the benefits of new advancements and other related parts of the engine, whereas Flash is dead and HTML would not be very efficient for running such a massive game. additionally, HTML and code for complex games like universe sandbox is extremely different.

TLDR This is like asking Rockstar to port Red Dead Redemption 2 to the calculator.

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2020, 11:54:05 AM »
I am glad you told me that. I did not know that it was impossible for Universe Sandbox to run on HTML5. I know Flash is dead.

Shall there be future versions of Unity that increase overall game performance for Universe Sandbox?

Lord DC

• Omnitae - Leader of Omnipotencia
    • Steam profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2020, 08:47:50 AM »
Most likely, since the engine does somewhat determine the performance, much like how Kerbal Space Program used to get very intensive with crafts due to the way Unity was back then.

However, it still does rely on the developers mostly for the performance of the game, as if your hypothetical game is not coded properly it will run badly no matter what codebase you use.

However, a good engine and good programmers can double stack to make a game run extremely well... However even with a powerful engine such as RAGE (Rockstar's proprietary engine used for their modern games) cannot save GTA IV from running like crap due to terrible coding/porting

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2020, 02:38:57 PM »
I know that developers do their best to make Universe Sandbox perform as best as possible. I agree with them, but extra performance stabilization comes from new versions of Unity.

UB VVG

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2020, 11:32:41 PM »
现在宇宙沙盘的游戏引擎好像是Open GL2

Cesare

• Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2020, 07:15:44 AM »
Done that.