Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: General US Questions  (Read 4141 times)

Atmosfear

General US Questions
« on: October 29, 2011, 02:19:34 PM »
I'm planning on purchasing US this month, but before I do I have a few questions.  I'm interested in creating a from-scratch planetary system that obeys the laws of physics.  Are there options/commands/functions in US that can calculate the necessary masses, speeds, and so that all bodies are in proper orbits?  What about bodies with highly elliptical orbits?

smjjames

Re: General US Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 03:39:13 PM »
I haven't done US for a while, but there is the Auto Orbit button for basic orbits. For highly elliptical orbits, I would say turn on the orbit track predictor (not the actual name, I forget what the option is called atm) and tweak the velocity until you have the orbit you want.

Making the whole thing stable though, just experiment I guess?

FiahOwl

• This is, to give a dog and in recompense desire my dog again.
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 03:44:10 PM »
I haven't done US for a while, but there is the Auto Orbit button for basic orbits. For highly elliptical orbits, I would say turn on the orbit track predictor (not the actual name, I forget what the option is called atm) and tweak the velocity until you have the orbit you want.

Just use the Eccentricity Bar and change it from between 0.0 to and 1.0

« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 10:09:20 AM by FiahOwl »

FiahOwl

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 03:44:31 PM »
I'm planning on purchasing US this month, but before I do I have a few questions.  I'm interested in creating a from-scratch planetary system that obeys the laws of physics.  Are there options/commands/functions in US that can calculate the necessary masses, speeds, and so that all bodies are in proper orbits?  What about bodies with highly elliptical orbits?

UNSB can do everything you asked.

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 05:43:44 AM »

Just use the Eccentricity Bar and change it from 0.0 to 1.0

1.0? no thats what i do when i want a collision. 1.0 will make a line.
Orbit trak predictor, or the Projected path, is inaccurate with 3 or more bodies if they're close enough. I don't reccomend using that.

FiahOwl

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 10:08:17 AM »

Just use the Eccentricity Bar and change it from 0.0 to 1.0

1.0? no thats what i do when i want a collision. 1.0 will make a line.
Orbit trak predictor, or the Projected path, is inaccurate with 3 or more bodies if they're close enough. I don't reccomend using that.

I meant drag it from 0.0 between 1.0 and find what you like.