Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Simcity 4  (Read 186091 times)

blotz

• Formerly 'bong'
  • op pls
Re: Simcity 4
« Reply #210 on: March 03, 2013, 12:48:29 PM »
'But only because I happen to have most games on Steam. I hate all these stupid, different game platforms trying to compete and forcing us to have 100 programs running in the background all with the exact same purpose, just made by competing corporations, just because we want to play games.'

game platform??

Hellpotatoe

• JooJ
« Reply #211 on: March 03, 2013, 12:49:56 PM »
Not sure if I'm going to buy it. It seems so over-hyped in their propaganda videos ofc, but I'm not impressed, the cities just seem too small compared to SimCity 4, the regions layout I don't like, the cities should be next to each other and with no enforced limit on region size like SimCity 4 so you can make something like a "true" megacity instead of just a bunch of skyscrapers with maybe 200,000 people but surrounded by farms. And I hate Origin. I hate Impulse. But only because I happen to have most games on Steam. I hate all these stupid, different game platforms trying to compete and forcing us to have 100 programs running in the background all with the exact same purpose, just made by competing corporations, just because we want to play games.
F*CKING KAPITALISMUS!

matty406

« Reply #212 on: March 03, 2013, 12:50:34 PM »
Origin is an attempt to butt into the success Steam is getting, I'm sure.
Steam is going a grand job imo even though I don't use it much and we don't need anyone else to try and change what they're doing. Anyway, EA doesn't need any more crackpot money making schemes, they have more than enough!

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #213 on: March 03, 2013, 12:56:35 PM »
kol bla. i only run steam when i need to, otherwise it's off.

Yqt1001

• Airline Empires
« Reply #214 on: March 03, 2013, 01:13:58 PM »
Well, Spore didn't demand a constant connection; Spore needed a connection for content but otherwise you could play normally offline. Simcity, on the other hand, will absolutely need you to stay connected to their servers in order to play whatsoever.

It will probably be set up like Minecraft (log in at startup) but since it's constantly online (you can play sp minecraft in offline mode), you won't be able to be play any of it without an Origin copy.

blotz

• Formerly 'bong'
  • op pls
« Reply #215 on: March 03, 2013, 04:58:45 PM »
i read: original copy

Bla

• Global Moderator
  • The stars died so you can live.
« Reply #216 on: March 12, 2013, 09:54:30 AM »
Grrrrrrr, SimCity, is this you? Are you there? Hello?

Let's Play SimCity 2013 - Part 1

I can't recognize it. How could they ruin the regions like this? The city squares look so small. :(

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #217 on: March 12, 2013, 10:38:14 AM »
But it's the most simulated SimCity yet... there's garbage trucks that actually go around to each building and pick up the trash... switch to the trash view and watch the number of bags of trash for each building drop as the truck stops. I think it's really great (despite the always on DRM and small city size).

Hellpotatoe

• JooJ
« Reply #218 on: March 12, 2013, 11:13:38 AM »
I think it's really great (despite the always on DRM and small city size).

Yqt1001

• Airline Empires
« Reply #219 on: March 12, 2013, 11:22:36 AM »
I don't mind the always on DRM and the small city sizes. I would actually buy it if it was on Steam and hte regions could be bigger and cities actually next to each other.

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #220 on: March 12, 2013, 11:41:42 AM »
I would actually buy it if it was on Steam and hte regions could be bigger and cities actually next to each other.
This is probably my main reason for not buying it as well. City development/expansion just seems too ristricted in this version.

I don't care if the simulation is extremely accurate. It doesn't matter if all the sims in an apartment building are reading newspapers with actual text and drink coffee. I want to build a billion apartments, whether they have coffee or not.

matty406

« Reply #221 on: March 12, 2013, 11:44:25 AM »
Ren & Stimpy Mr. Horse - No Sir I Didn't Like It
Looking at the region picking bit, it looks like a web based game. Seems a lot like two steps forward, one step back with this game; deeper simulation at the cost of scale

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #222 on: March 12, 2013, 12:25:42 PM »
Looking at the region picking bit, it looks like a web based game. Seems a lot like two steps forward, one step back with this game; deeper simulation at the cost of scale
Agreed, maybe I would say one step forward and two back or something. It seems a bit like the same mistake as with SimCity Societies. Then it was just the micromanaging which was ridiculous. The scale also was as far as I can remember, but the micromanagement ensured you would never reach that size anyway.

I just don't see how skyscrapers can ever fit into those city tiles... The cities are going to be taller than they are wide. :l

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #223 on: March 12, 2013, 12:30:23 PM »
this is because EA is the hugest douchebag since oil companies

tuto99

• Baba Booey
« Reply #224 on: March 12, 2013, 12:38:17 PM »
As I'm seeing it, Simcity 5 was a bigger dissapointment than I would have ever anticipated. The city sizes are too unrealistic, and so is the population. (Like who would find skyscrapers in a city with 10,000 people? Wouldn't you find that in a larger populated town?)
And the texturing is a bit comical. I would like this as a legitimate simulator, not something with slightly unrealistic gameplay.
I guess I might not be buying this game.

Yqt1001

• Airline Empires
« Reply #225 on: March 12, 2013, 12:40:01 PM »
(Like who would find skyscrapers in a city with 10,000 people? Wouldn't you find that in a larger populated town?)

That was in SC4 as well. In SC4 the skyscraper growth would start at 21k population and with high R demand you could get them with very low population.

matty406

« Reply #226 on: March 12, 2013, 12:58:27 PM »
I think what EA is forcing is a co-operative game play style. Smaller plots means you'll have less space to become totally self self-sufficient and independent. No to mention if you pack out to the edges the cities are going to have un-natural, completely square footprints.

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #227 on: March 12, 2013, 01:16:06 PM »
(Like who would find skyscrapers in a city with 10,000 people? Wouldn't you find that in a larger populated town?)

That was in SC4 as well. In SC4 the skyscraper growth would start at 21k population and with high R demand you could get them with very low population.
True, but in SC4 at least you could develop cities to sizes where the skyscrapers would actually look realistic. In the new SC the cities will always be too small/isolated for skyscrapers to look natural.

Agree with Tuto. Another thing I noticed was that the guy who made the video I linked to had a city with 10k inhabitants, but a bit later it said it had 500 residential buildings. They were all small houses. That's 20 inhabitants pr. house. In SC4 the inhabitants in houses were also inflated in a similar way.

I think what EA is forcing is a co-operative game play style. Smaller plots means you'll have less space to become totally self self-sufficient and independent. No to mention if you pack out to the edges the cities are going to have un-natural, completely square footprints.
Yes, another thing which seems ridiculous. A region with random squares of cities scattered around it. It is really terrible that there is no way to make cities look connected in any way other than the premade highways and rails. I guess all the regions are also completely premade and uneditable? That would leave out the entire "god mode" part of SC4 where you could make your own regions.

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #228 on: April 16, 2013, 10:02:05 PM »
I'm getting back into SC4 now. Spent about 2 hours today just downloading buildings :P

karakris

« Reply #229 on: April 17, 2013, 07:05:30 AM »
I still have SimCity 3000 on my Old PC - Running in Win '98.

It still works - and I have the Downloaded Architect Pack, to design your own Buildings.
They have to be put in, to replace existing Buildings.

I have ALL of the Cheats - gives you Everything without having to wait for different time periods.
Also - do Everything for Free, and get some free Dosh ( only once though ).
All you have to pay for is the Wages of City Employees.

I love that Game - but since I got my new PC I hardly ever use te old PC.
I do not have spare Monitor.
Also - Simcity 3000, Populous Undiscovered Worlds, and lots of other Games - onlt run on Windows '98, and loads of them you just cannot get anymore. But I have them still.
I also like playing Doom and Doom 2 - I have all the Cheats including Invulnerability.

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #230 on: May 26, 2013, 12:56:33 PM »
rapid megagrowth in a village using natural growth style

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #231 on: May 26, 2013, 12:58:39 PM »
another village using natural growth style

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #232 on: May 28, 2013, 02:28:22 PM »
my largest grown region so far

FiahOwl

• This is, to give a dog and in recompense desire my dog again.
« Reply #233 on: May 28, 2013, 02:35:27 PM »

This message is only viewable with Universe Sandbox Galaxy Edition. Access it and much more with promo-code '105925'.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 12:44:30 AM by FiahOwl »

tuto99

• Baba Booey
« Reply #234 on: May 28, 2013, 02:45:02 PM »
my largest grown region so far
Region looks nice. What terrain mod are you using?

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #235 on: May 28, 2013, 06:13:29 PM »
i know this will blow your mind but: none. other than to change the higher elevations from dumb arid to snowcovered.

tuto99

• Baba Booey
« Reply #236 on: May 28, 2013, 06:17:05 PM »
i know this will blow your mind but: none. other than to change the higher elevations from dumb arid to snowcovered.
I'm appalled...

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #237 on: May 28, 2013, 06:24:03 PM »
The vanilla terrain doesn't look that bad except at higher elevations, not all ground is created equal.

tuto99

• Baba Booey
« Reply #238 on: May 28, 2013, 06:38:27 PM »
The vanilla terrain doesn't look that bad except at higher elevations, not all ground is created equal.
So what about the water??

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #239 on: May 28, 2013, 07:41:04 PM »
terrain mods != water mods
i have a tree mod and a water mod

i think the bright blue bahamas water looks terrible.