Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Suggestion: Planets get destroyed by star heat.  (Read 4470 times)

StarDrive85

Suggestion: Planets get destroyed by star heat.
« on: September 24, 2015, 07:32:16 AM »
As we know in real life if the sun suddenly got close to earth, the earth would explode in to fragments instead of just falling in to the sun.

Can we get this kind of physics simulation in a later update?.

The Ventifact

• I am the Creator...
Re: Suggestion: Planets get destroyed by star heat.
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 08:50:12 AM »
How close are we talking about here? Like Venus close? Or closer? Venus is very near to the sun, yet it hasn't exploded into fragments. I'm kinda confused here, wouldn't the rock on earth just become really hot, or melt? Unless I'm missing something here, isn't earth too big to break apart? Seems like it would take too long to fragment, because by the time it would lose its structure, earth would have already been swallowed by the sun.

I am but a mere mortal, teach me the ways of space if I do not understand. XD

tepidbread

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 09:06:03 AM »
How close are we talking about here? Like Venus close? Or closer? Venus is very near to the sun, yet it hasn't exploded into fragments.

That creates an interesting question... Could a really bright/ hot star (not necessarily very massive) melt a planet or turn it into a liquid without tearing it apart with its gravitational field?

i.e. A planet falls apart due to heating combined with a rather moderate gravitational force from it's orbital parent. Rather than a very strong gravitational force alone.

Like throwing a bucket of water vs a bucket of sand...

In other words... Would the viscosity of the planet change the way a planet reacts to a gravitational force?

Greenleaf Help!!!

Greenleaf

• Thomas Grønneløv
  • Development Team
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 10:25:41 AM »
There is a nice table here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roche_limit
which tells us that a solid mercury would need to be 104 times closer to the sun, than it is now, for tidal forces to tear it apart. If it is molten it would be 51 times closer.

I honestly don't have a quick calculation of the effect of the solar wind at that distance, but breaking apart from other forces than tidal forces do seem likely that close up. Probably not in big fragments, but more comet-like evaporation. I am only speculating right now, though.

We are looking into fragmenting planets when super nova hit them, and that might make sense to add in a more general way as well.

tepidbread

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 03:46:47 PM »
Interesting... I did not know that they factored the physical state of the body into roach limits. I had always thought that they assumed the body to be solid.

Will we see anything like this implemented in the final game? Gas giants seem like they would be very interesting when tidal forces are considered.

Greenleaf

• Thomas Grønneløv
  • Development Team
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2015, 12:53:22 AM »
Interesting... I did not know that they factored the physical state of the body into roach limits. I had always thought that they assumed the body to be solid.

Will we see anything like this implemented in the final game? Gas giants seem like they would be very interesting when tidal forces are considered.

The original limit  is actually non-solid to the extreme. It is meant to say that a moon can not form through coalescing of smaller particles inside the limit radius. Essentially that compares to a fluid object with zero cohesive forces. That is very different from breaking apart a solid object, which does have internal strength.

Physics_Hacker

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2015, 02:00:35 PM »

The original limit  is actually non-solid to the extreme. It is meant to say that a moon can not form through coalescing of smaller particles inside the limit radius. Essentially that compares to a fluid object with zero cohesive forces. That is very different from breaking apart a solid object, which does have internal strength.

It also states that objects with low enough density will be torn apart, and this was shown in the original Universe Sandbox, and was configurable for different densities. This doesn't exist in US^2 and so obviously is not configurable, but that just goes to show that US1 actually taught me something without having to look up a Wikipedia article, while US^2 hasn't done really anything of the sort, as strange properties are just arbitrary. At least in the original you could mouse over a property and it would give some info as to what it was or what it meant.

Gabriella

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2015, 03:40:28 AM »
I was play US2 Alpha 16.1 the rocky planet become gas giant by star

When rocky planet collide to the red dwarf star will become gas giant because collection hydrogen and gasses to the rocky planet by red dwarf star will become gas giant

codefantastic

• I hope these asteroids don't cause trouble
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2015, 08:28:27 AM »
Actually, I've heard the Earth would "survive" while in the sun. Of course, all that would be left would be small lump of cold rock.

Only2ndplace

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 12:45:47 PM »
While there's no tidal fragmentation yet, there's already the property of mass loss, that happens during a supernova or if a planet is too close to the sun, which means planets can evaporate.

BlurryVortices

• There's an "I" in the middle of "Hurricane"
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 12:06:01 AM »
How close are we talking about here? Like Venus close? Or closer? Venus is very near to the sun, yet it hasn't exploded into fragments. I'm kinda confused here, wouldn't the rock on earth just become really hot, or melt? Unless I'm missing something here, isn't earth too big to break apart? Seems like it would take too long to fragment, because by the time it would lose its structure, earth would have already been swallowed by the sun.
Depending on the Roche Limits

Megalobster

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2015, 05:54:51 PM »
I have the same kind of suggestion / question regarding atmosphere in US2: I simulated some 2 stars solar system as soon as I bought US2 and had fun watching the dynamic atmosphere thing on planets: I had an earth's surface temperature that was  going from -50°C to 500°C and started wondering if at that temperature the atmosphere and including the evaporated water from the planet shouldn't have entirely gone into space? Cause when the temperatures goes back under 120~~°C the seas are reforming etc?

Edit: I just burnt an entire planet till there was no water left, so I guess I just didn't play enough with it, sorry P:
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 06:26:30 PM by Megalobster »

DiamondMiner10

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2015, 06:43:38 PM »
I wonder if theres a distance where the planet melts and turns into a ring of magma blobs around the star