Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Physic glitch ( very annoying )  (Read 1989 times)

pac0master

• Developer of Portal 2: Abyss
Physic glitch ( very annoying )
« on: August 12, 2014, 04:40:14 PM »
Hi there, I don't know if this was intentional or if this is a glitch, but it prevent me from doing one of my favourite thing in US

Basically, Whenever I change a physical propriety of an object. ( let's say the density of an object ) It will change all the other proprieties as well even  if it's locked.

I like to create impossible things, like a bowling ball the mass of a planet or simply  increasing the density of the Earth 10 time and mess around with the orbit of the planets.

Now, for some reason, Even if I change the materials a planet is made of, It also change the size ( diameter ) of the planet itself and make it even more annoying.

I tried to lock the Diameter of a planet and change the density by adding a digit on it,  Let's say Earth's was 8, then it's 80.  but It automatically lowered itself ( near what it was before ) and the Diameter of the planet changed as well  to be something like 1.12 Earth.

I don't know why it is doing this, but it is very annoying and it will be fun to get rid of it.

US was known for letting peoples free to mess around and have fun even with ridiculous contraptions.
It was one of my favourite feature though.

If this was intended, Would you mind just add some sort of Toggle button for this? so we can play and mess around freely?

jswear

Re: Physic glitch ( very annoying )
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 11:03:01 AM »
This seems to be related to the issue I'm having here: http://universesandbox.com/forum/index.php/topic,13034.0.html

The only difference being that while you're trying to create "impossible" objects, I'm trying to create less common objects that actually exist.

Whatever they're using to calculate the properties at the moment is extremely limiting.

pac0master

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 12:20:46 PM »
Yeah, you are right.

C7

• Development Team
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 08:05:32 AM »
I know it can be rather frustrating when things aren't working as you'd like.  However, you're dealing with something that is very much in progress at the moment.

Right now, in the current version the parameters you're referring to are simulation controlled. So we're doing our best guess to come up with reasonable values for what's happening.  In short, they're being overwritten by the values of what is calculated to be "correct".

The switch to ignore that behavior simply isn't added in yet, though it's something we've discussed and have planned to add in the future. At that point you'll be free to make black hole mass bowling balls or whatever else you can come up with.

pac0master

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 12:39:41 PM »
That's cool, I was wondering why we were able to mess around with it in the past few updates and then the new one make it different.