Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Pulsars/neutron stars?  (Read 12336 times)

dhm794

Pulsars/neutron stars?
« on: January 05, 2012, 03:34:01 PM »
Is it possible to create a pulsar? (a neutron star that rotates extremely fast and sends out light in a "lighthouse" fashion).  I've tried taking a star of neutron-star mass and making the diameter that of a typical neutron star, but it doesn't rotate at all.

smjjames

Re: Pulsars/neutron stars?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 03:38:14 PM »
Maybe it's rotating so fast that your eye just thinks it's not rotating? Those things have milisecond/microsecond rotations. There may also be a bug involving rotation and stars.

As for a pulsar, I did make a neutron star once, but I have no idea about the jets of photons that make a pulsar a pulsar.

FiahOwl

• This is, to give a dog and in recompense desire my dog again.
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 03:40:36 PM »
Is it possible to create a pulsar? (a neutron star that rotates extremely fast and sends out light in a "lighthouse" fashion).  I've tried taking a star of neutron-star mass and making the diameter that of a typical neutron star, but it doesn't rotate at all.

You need to set the rotation speed of the neutron star.

dhm794

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 03:42:22 PM »
Ah... I just realized you can set the rotation.  Anyways, do you think it's possible to make it emit light the way a pulsar does?

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 03:45:15 PM »
if you did a binary star; one dense star and one very "undense" star, you could do soemthing with the light and pulsing.

smjjames

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 03:46:34 PM »
I know mudkipz did something similar with a black hole and jets, but I'm not sure if it's the effect you want.

if you did a binary star; one dense star and one very "undense" star, you could do soemthing with the light and pulsing.

Eclipsing isn't the same thing as pulsing.

FiahOwl

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 03:48:45 PM »
Ah... I just realized you can set the rotation.  Anyways, do you think it's possible to make it emit light the way a pulsar does?

Not possible currently.

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 03:49:15 PM »
ok...but you can make it visually pulse anyway.
I know mudkipz did something similar with a black hole and jets, but I'm not sure if it's the effect you want.

Eclipsing isn't the same thing as pulsing.

dhm794

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 04:26:36 PM »

Not possible currently.

Yeah, I was asking the programmers specifically if it's even possible to do this at all (not in the current version).

FiahOwl

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 04:27:29 PM »
Ah, I get it.