Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Thoughts on Tatooine system-making  (Read 4928 times)

Tobello

Thoughts on Tatooine system-making
« on: May 05, 2011, 01:12:10 PM »
Hi there.

I spent about an hour now creating my first version of the Tatooine solarsystem (Tatoo) from star wars.
There are two stars, one big (Tatoo I, a re-named VY Canis Majoris) and a much smaler one (Tatoo II, a re-named Sun). A problem is that the big star doesn't give enough sunlight(starlight?) to light up the planet if I place it in the green area (the habitable zone). Is it supposed to be like that?

Ok. tatooine seems to be going around in circles. But the two other planets will (in about 1000 years or so) be cast out of the solarsystem because of the two stars dancing in the middle. Would it be possible to lock a planet/moon to a fixed orbit around one planet where it wont be pulled out by other stars?

Any suggestions to other fictional solarsystems I could try to create? Or do any of you have tips on working with dubble-solarsystems? That would come in handy :)

And also: There sould be a category in the forums for simulation-creation.

edit: fixed the green-zone problem by using smaler stars (Sun as Tatoo I and Wolf 359 as Tatoo II). But still, I find it strange.

Ramierez

Re: Thoughts on Tatooine system-making
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 01:30:45 PM »
Did you try adjusting the slider bar on the Emit Light menu to increase how much light it outputs in the sim?

Tobello

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 01:48:16 PM »
Did you try adjusting the slider bar on the Emit Light menu to increase how much light it outputs in the sim?

yes, up to 10 (max). I found that: When Tatooine has a orb-time of 223 years, the lights are ok. But it goes dark once it reaches 224 :\

Joshimitsu91

• Hit me up on Steam: "Joshimitsu91"
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 03:08:57 PM »
Read this post if you haven't already, its very helpful (the reply i mean):

http://universesandbox.com/forum/index.php/topic,3432.0.html

You can set each planet to orbit the barycenter (centre of mass) of the two stars once you have set them up as a binary, by selecting the planet and the barycenter and clicking "Make Binary Orbit" (as you do for the two stars). This will keep them in the system.

Also, if the planets are in a close orbit and the time-step is too large they may slingshot away. If they're far out that won't be a problem :) This might be what is happening if you turned it up to get to the 1000 year mark quickly :)

Hope this helped!

Omnigeek6

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 09:45:11 PM »
So, I looked Tatooine up on Wookiepedia...

The two "suns" are supposedly G2 and G1 spectral class yellow dwarfs. However, both stars have the same angular diameter seen from Tatooine, and one has a color consistent with a spectral class of M.

Methinks there is a very distinct possibility that Tatoonie cannot be replicated in US2 because it is not physically possible.

Aephion

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 01:31:55 AM »
I've been messing around a little and went with what I've seen and read on the web :)

I'm not particularly fond of Star Wars, but I decided to make it anyway. Hope you don't hate it too much ^^;

ChemicalBR0

• flying is just falling without hitting the ground
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 05:07:18 AM »
So, I looked Tatooine up on Wookiepedia...

The two "suns" are supposedly G2 and G1 spectral class yellow dwarfs. However, both stars have the same angular diameter seen from Tatooine, and one has a color consistent with a spectral class of M.

Methinks there is a very distinct possibility that Tatoonie cannot be replicated in US2 because it is not physically possible.

Lol yeah I don't think George lucas was going for Scientific accuracy when he made star wars.
just to spoil the illusion even further Tatooine is actually Tunisia :)

Hedd

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 06:27:37 PM »
Tatooine lost one of it's moons almost the moment I loaded the sim.  Also, Ohann had a 0.0 planetary rotation and looked like it was spinning to high heaven.