Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Get ready to be rich developers  (Read 5244 times)

Enesmirac

• Do I need to write anything here ?

Chris

• Developer
Re: Get ready to be rich developers
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 03:17:31 AM »
I just spilled my coffee  :)

BlurryVortices

• There's an "I" in the middle of "Hurricane"
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 03:36:30 AM »
Last night i dreamed PewDiePie played Universe Sandbox 2 :P

XilentDude

• Alpha Tester
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 05:02:59 AM »
I hope we won't get more "got bored after 5 minutes, refunded" cases. I really hate those guys.

gabriel.dac

• Brazillian dude
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 08:51:31 AM »
HOLY FREAKING $H!T. I just saw that video on my subscription list on youtube and I was in shock. Holy crap that's awesome

Enesmirac

• Do I need to write anything here ?
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 09:44:00 AM »
I hope we won't get more "got bored after 5 minutes, refunded" cases. I really hate those guys.

Yeah, I was thinking about that too

blotz

• Formerly 'bong'
  • op pls
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 11:26:58 AM »
i hope this game gets less intensive to run, a lot of the comments seem to talk about how it's too intensive. but, we're only in the alpha so something will probably happen

The Ventifact

• I am the Creator...
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015, 12:10:45 PM »

Its because they don't understand the subtle nuances of Universe Sandbox, they don't understand the complexities that make US2 such an interesting simulator. A lot of what makes US2 tick is the stuff that happens under the hood, as opposed to what happens on the surface.

To really understand how it works, what is actually happening on-screen, you need to know a little about astronomy/astrophysics to appreciate what this game is about. If you get someone with no interest in astronomy, its very likely they will say it's boring. They don't get excited about inclinations of planets, or the eccentricity, or orbital periods. They think it's just a game where planets spin around a bright, fiery ball, and nothing more, but its not.

Well, it does do that, but it is much more interesting than how they put it. There's a lot to do in US2, you just have to go beyond the surface to find it.

And they would rather not do that.

As for PewDieIdiot, I can't stand him. So spastic without any reason to be, I'd rather not have him send all of his low IQ subscribers to flood it with stuff like "itz booringg." Just reading some of the comments on the vid feels like aids.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 12:23:19 PM by The Ventifact »

gabriel.dac

• Brazillian dude
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2015, 12:27:01 PM »
I fully agree with Ventifact.

I, personally, would like US² to be more of a simulator and a learning/teaching tool rather than a game and a "let's blow everything up" kind of software. Indeed, in order to appreciate the small details like the orbital period, eccentricity, materials, climate etc. you need have interest in science and astronomy.

There is no deny that the "game" would be much more successful if it was more about fun and less about science. I hope US² manages to satisfy both audiences. As I said, I would dislike to see this cool software to turn into a game, with spaceships, monsters and stuff. I hope that never happens

The Ventifact

• I am the Creator...
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2015, 01:18:40 PM »
I fully agree with Ventifact.

I, personally, would like US² to be more of a simulator and a learning/teaching tool rather than a game and a "let's blow everything up" kind of software. Indeed, in order to appreciate the small details like the orbital period, eccentricity, materials, climate etc. you need have interest in science and astronomy.

There is no deny that the "game" would be much more successful if it was more about fun and less about science. I hope US² manages to satisfy both audiences. As I said, I would dislike to see this cool software to turn into a game, with spaceships, monsters and stuff. I hope that never happens

With the direction things are heading right now, it certainly appears to be that way. There's already a lot of science and fun mixed in, it can only get better at this point. If you're fearful of US2 turning into a "game" with aliens/monsters, I don't think it will happen. I've seen Dan and other team members say they want to replicate the universe as closely as possible, and that requires having things realistic.

What you'll actually have to worry about is if/when Universe Sandbox 2 gets Steam Workshop. Cars, skyscrapers, aliens, ships, almost anything, will be put on the workshop. At least its by users and not the devs. However, it would be a bummer if US2 were only known as the space game with all the mods, and not for what it really is, kinda like how you said it.

tepidbread

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2015, 09:09:16 PM »
I think you guys are missing the point... Pewdiepie can be spastic and irritating, but he does have a large following and people will hear about the game. Even if most of them refund the game they still tried it. I think the main purpose of Universe Sandbox is to teach and make the universe interesting. Those who are willing to learn or are interested by the game may keep the game and attempt to learn more. We don't want the people who will discard the game because it does not fit their preferences. Chances are they wouldn't have even considered the game without this lets play. Although, lets hope the forum does not get filled with irritating children...

Physics_Hacker

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2015, 09:16:30 PM »
^ I'm an irritating child and I've been here way longer than that video has existed so

The Ventifact

• I am the Creator...
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2015, 07:28:36 AM »
I think you guys are missing the point... Pewdiepie can be spastic and irritating, but he does have a large following and people will hear about the game. Even if most of them refund the game they still tried it. I think the main purpose of Universe Sandbox is to teach and make the universe interesting. Those who are willing to learn or are interested by the game may keep the game and attempt to learn more. We don't want the people who will discard the game because it does not fit their preferences. Chances are they wouldn't have even considered the game without this lets play. Although, lets hope the forum does not get filled with irritating children...

I understand the situation and I know what you mean. The more exposure US2 gets, the better chance it will bring more people, which is great. If they learn something and like it, also great. I don't have a problem with that, it wouldn't bother me either if they refunded if they didn't like it. What would bother me is all the potential "its boring," "not enough to do," "I don't understand this." Both in the form of reviews and posts on the forums. Not just that, but suggesting (here and on Steam), with stupid mod ideas or unrealistic things to "add" to US2.

So yeah, that kinda stuff.  This will inevitably happen anyway, I'm just going to be annoyed when it does.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 01:56:12 PM by The Ventifact »

Arian

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2015, 11:35:34 AM »
Actually what makes US² so great for me is the fact that it is both: a fantastic learning tool and a way to have fun with messing around.
That's exactly how science should be: Amazing, Thrilling, Surprising and Entertaining while also Enlightening, Explaining, Demonstrating and Revealing.
People will learn a thing or two about physics and the universe while just trying to find the most spectacular way to destroy something. Even the most ignorant people will inevitably find out when collisions work as planned and when they don't. After that they know just a bit more than before, mission accomplished. If they stick to it, that's a bonus. Some will eventually learn to create complex systems while trying to set up scenarios for cataclysms. Let's be honest, that's how architects started with building block toys building amazing towers only to smash them in spectacular ways  ;)