Poll

Do you want this in Universe Sandbox2

Yes
No
Maybe
Add it all except Planetary war and factions
This is good but some of it is bad
Add it all except Add the setting for planetary war to enable and disable

Author Topic: Civilization  (Read 12382 times)

Knawner

Civilization
« on: August 26, 2015, 07:20:51 PM »
I want civilization but i will put it in a list.
1. Can you make it so if there is a planet and it has the requirements for something to live on it trees grass will appear and maybe lights.
2. If there is humans they can launch space ships satellites and they can stop asteroids, and terraform planets.
3. Planetary war, It could work like A or B
A. It could work like spore where the y would send spaceships to shoot send army's to take over.
B. or a little different they would send spaceships to nuke it.
4. Factions. there would be few factions at start but you could check factions to see what is the factions enemy and friend.
5. If you don't like factions and planetary war but others do can you add an option in settings so you can enable and disable planetary war
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 07:42:12 PM by Knawner »

crashman1390

• New years resolution:grow beard, shaved every day.
Re: Civilization
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 08:41:05 PM »
I think it's too complex to put in.

Also this is a physics simulator, not a civilization simulator.  :-\

gabriel.dac

• Brazillian dude
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 10:46:17 PM »
use your imagination, kid

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 06:47:13 PM »
Sounds awesome, but also exactly the direction we're headed. A simplistic life simulation, probably... but civilization features, certainly at the the level you describe isn't on our short list of things to do.

codefantastic

• I hope these asteroids don't cause trouble
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 06:07:30 AM »
Remember: Different Planets mean different climates which means different life. Not every life bearing planet will look the same or have humans :)

Arian

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 10:19:44 AM »
The closest thing to that, that I could imagine was a Power to get a "Generation Spaceship" on the way.
With an adjustable average lifespan and reproduction factor for the lifeforms1) on board of it. It doesn't even need a speed limit.
It could impressively demonstrate one of the difficulties for interstellar travel.

1) including the lifeforms for food supply.

On a side note: I strongly believe in (civilized) life at distant planets just because it is boarding impossibility that it doesn't exist. However, a civilization able to engage in war with a distant other civilization would likely have enough power (in form of a supergun) at hands to destroy the distant star system as a whole, because it would be more energy efficient than sending ships. ;)

Only2ndplace

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 01:05:52 AM »
I think, that while having the greenery of life (maybe even city lights) as a sort of "feedback" as to whether you properly managing the climate of a planet or not would be pretty cool, I don't think, that US2 should become a stategy game at all, because it simply isn't about that.

Since it's a realistic physics simulation first and foremost, I think adding sci-fi warfare wouldn't fit the style of the game at all. On top of that, additions like this would probably take too much time to implement, that could be used to implement more important and relevant stuff.
(Of course, the devs know that better than I, so I might be wrong there ;) )

On another note:
What I'd really like to see in the future in case life is implemented, that the color of plants fits the physical conditions of the star system, i. e. having black plant life around a red dwarf, because it doesn't have such a strong luminosity.

CCalpha

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 11:22:12 PM »
The one thing I can't do without is more man-made objects and spacecraft with realistic propulsion, I really want to simulate fictional and historical missions like recreating the Apollo missions or simulating Interstellar flight. Possibly simulate launches and landings as well as Atmospheric flight. Also a wide variety of spacecraft from fictional starships, to satellites, mars rovers, lunar landers, space shuttles, probes and colony ships. Its also Important to have realistic waypoints, and fuel/supply usage. Simulated crew which require resources such as food/water/appropriate living conditions and have a effect on the ships mass and maneuverability. I feel that these kind of things can be easily done with a simple "pilot/crew" interface. And possibly in future updates adding realistic comm's, intel on planets/locations and even player piloted from the first person cockpit of ships like Microsoft Flight Simulator, (include landing strips and launch pads). What good is a space simulator with no realistic way of simulating manned space flights. (20 m diameter teapots with X,Y,Z set velocity won't suffice)

This comment was inspired by the "New Horizons Pluto Encounter in 2015" simulation.

(Image extremely relevant "Interstellar Colony Teapot (Delta 1-1)")
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 12:09:42 AM by CCalpha »

SeanathonJames

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2015, 11:40:55 AM »
You know those gigantic mods a lot of game like KSP end up getting? Your suggestion feels like it's going to be one of those for US2 once the game's officially released along with modding tools.

Kreole

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2015, 10:44:50 AM »
The one thing I can't do without is more man-made objects and spacecraft with realistic propulsion, I really want to simulate fictional and historical missions like recreating the Apollo missions or simulating Interstellar flight....

(Image extremely relevant "Interstellar Colony Teapot (Delta 1-1)")

Yes I like this. A true sandbox, very complex... even life generation as mentioned earlier... If the developers want to create, create and create, the universe2 is endless....

But what I really want to know is, which pull-down has the Improbability Drive?

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2015, 11:25:49 PM »
The limiting factor for games like this isn't the ideas that people can implement and its scope, but more processing power... You just can't have a true simulation of everything at any manageable speed right now.

phil9871

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2015, 03:22:08 PM »
Sounds awesome, but also exactly the direction we're headed. A simplistic life simulation, probably... but civilization features, certainly at the the level you describe isn't on our short list of things to do.

I like the ideal..For example like atm im trying to get a close to exact copy of earth..Though having issues with surface temps atm. It would be cool to have a info panel or such to see if anything interesting happens on it. It is a sim as ppl have said..But it has potential to become more then just a plain physics sim...

Imagine if ya played spore but had to create the planet first, and then went from there... Then watched civilizations fall or "adapt" to changes (yes playing god lol) . Small changes can have drastic effects, even small ones like climate changes.

Processing needs can be cut through optimization.

Anyways is a intresting ideal, just like the product..Having some fun with it atm. Only 1 day in, and still learning the UI still mostly and settings..Lots of settings.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 03:30:41 PM by phil9871 »

Physics_Hacker

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2015, 05:26:31 PM »
Me thinks me smells a n00b

And please don't go and say that I'm a newb too because I've been here awhile, since around alpha 10 or 11, so...

Kurtch

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2015, 08:54:03 PM »
Here's my idea on how this could work:

We could use the Steam Workshop to implement our own civilizations.  Say for example, there could be an entire page in the game on it.  Like Spore, there could be some kind of "Creature Creator", or a simple version of it.  It doesn't have to have many features on it, just enough to make it fun.

Then, we could change on what planets they could live on (1 only, 0.9, 0.55, etc.) This could be done using the Likelihood of Life index.  City lights could form on the planet they inhabit, and little particles (ships) could detach  from the homeworld and settle new planets, creating city lights on them.

Little wars could go on, and the particles would "engage" each other, and destroy others.  Space stations could be created, that orbit around planets/moons/etc.  Dyson swarms could be created near stars.

Another good thing that could happen is making objects and bodies stay still.  I mean, no colliding into each other, just staying completely still so we can make simulations that look nice.  Or at least make stars stay completely still so that planets/moons/systems don't fall apart when they get near other stars due to gravity  ;D

The idea may sound too overzealous, but I would like to see the Devs try this.  Who knows? It would make the game more popular.  ;)

Gordon Freeman

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2015, 03:41:59 AM »

And please don't go and say that I'm a newb too because I've been here awhile, since around alpha 10 or 11, so...

sorry man, A10-11 is still a noob ;)

Even I compared to a lot of people here am a noob

Kurtch

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2015, 11:02:54 AM »

Alpha 7.  8)

Physics_Hacker

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2015, 03:28:41 PM »

At least it's better than people coming fro the last update asking for the same stuff a thousand others have before..

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2016, 08:18:54 PM »

why helo it is i

tesco

• Sauce
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2016, 03:37:17 AM »
Alpha 4 here :D