Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Skip Forward  (Read 3129 times)

Quizer9O8

Skip Forward
« on: September 05, 2014, 10:34:19 AM »
Since speeding up the time to much the planets, stars, sun would go freak out what about skip forward?
with this feature you'll be able to skip big gaps in the time and let the simulation run in like in the future.
You wanna see what happens with your planet over 4 billion years but that would ruin your solar system by fast forwarding? Skip Forward.
Wanna see what happens with your pool ball in close orbit of your planet? Skip Forward.
It would be nice to have such thing like that since the fps can't handle impacts (on my computer for some reason).

newhalo123

Re: Skip Forward
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 12:18:10 PM »
I never thought of this. This is an Excellent idea! I always want to be able to speed up the normal solar system to the point where the sun expands, but, I can't even get the speed up to 10 years a second.

IMO, this is a feature that should definitely be there at some point.

You sir, have earned an Internet in my book.

Greenleaf

• Thomas Grønneløv
  • Development Team
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 03:41:12 PM »
Since speeding up the time to much the planets, stars, sun would go freak out what about skip forward?

Yes, that would be nice. Also impossible.
If you have a system of planets then there is no general analytical solution which lets you plug in some future time and get their positions, due to the chaotic nature of any system with more than two bodies (except for a select few stable configurations).

The only way to see what the system is like in 4 million years is by slowly moving one little step forward at a time, till you have moved all the desired time. This unfortunately will accumulate tiny errors every step so you will end up with an incorrect system after 4 million years, unless the system is extremely stable.

wubbzy301

• I stole a username idea!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 06:14:57 PM »
Using skip forward will make it lag or freeze the simulation (simulations uses accuracy option to make simulation orbit stable). It's a good idea but there's no way to make.

Quizer9O8

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 11:50:37 PM »
Using skip forward will make it lag or freeze the simulation (simulations uses accuracy option to make simulation orbit stable). It's a good idea but there's no way to make.

Maybe but I'm sure that the team can fix this.

Electrodynamix

• Australian Alpha Tester and Astronomer
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 03:03:18 PM »
The only way that can happen is if the bodies orbits were on rails.  That way they wont be out of place after jumping.

Perhaps before skipping forward all orbits are locked solid.  This partially works, as it wont work for objects with hyperbolic orbits, or no orbits at all.