Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What About the Sound?  (Read 3553 times)

The Ventifact

• I am the Creator...
What About the Sound?
« on: August 13, 2014, 05:47:48 PM »
There has been quite a few threads about bugs, glitches, and graphical errors, but nothing on the sound. This isn't a bug per say, but I thought I would mention it. The ambient sound is pretty quiet (I know it's the vacuum of space, but still), and I don't have desktop speakers, just built-in speakers on my Asus monitor. I have to turn my volume almost all the way up to hear the explosion sound effects (70 out of 100).

This is similar to what I experience when playing Watch Dogs. My sound needs to be around 75-80 to hear the game properly. Of course, this could just be because I don't have speakers, which is most likely the case. Oddly enough, Universe Sandbox 2 and Watch Dogs are the only games out of 40+ I have that require me to turn the volume way up to hear it.

Most of the time, I have it between 25 and 30, and can hear those other games just fine. I am guessing the sound is going to be tweaked throughout US2's development, so it could change I suppose.

In short, will the sound change at some point so you don't need to turn the volume up so high (at least for my case)?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 05:58:38 PM by The Ventifact »

Dr.Diep

• Official Alpha Tester for US2
Re: What About the Sound?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 05:57:32 PM »
Nice topic, i would like some ambient music in the background. that would be awesome!

The Ventifact

• I am the Creator...
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 06:03:24 PM »
Yeah, that would be cool to see (and hear), in US2. In fact, I think Dan and the team mentioned something about an original score (like a soundtrack), that would play ambient-type space music while playing.

That can come later, but for now, being able to hear the ambient sounds from explosions and collisions without having to turn the volume way up would be a step in the right direction. But ya'know, it's their call.

Percebob

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 06:11:10 PM »
Ambiant sound is always important in games/sims, and considering how nice the stars sound currently it'd be nice to see this part of the game expended, although I would not expect such considerations to be ported to the game in the very near future when looking at the work they still need to pull off to get US² out of alpha.

The Ventifact

• I am the Creator...
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 06:17:50 PM »
Ambiant sound is always important in games/sims, and considering how nice the stars sound currently it'd be nice to see this part of the game expended, although I would not expect such considerations to be ported to the game in the very near future when looking at the work they still need to pull off to get US² out of alpha.

Stars have sound too?! I can't even hear that at all. Well, my monitor speakers don't have very deep bass anyway, so yeah. Maybe I should invest in some speakers, then. 

Percebob

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 06:21:23 PM »
Ah that's a shame, it's like they're calling us. 
But seriously, I don't really have trouble hearing the sounds in game, certainly because I am using headphones

The Ventifact

• I am the Creator...
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 06:28:47 PM »
Ah, man. :(

I should look to see if I can change the bass on this thing.

Edit: Nope.

physics

• what the boson is string theory?
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 06:35:07 PM »
the stars definitely have sounds. you just gotta zoom into them and put on headphones maybe, they make a rumbling noise.

Xriqxa

• 01000011 01101111 01101101 01101101 01110101 01101
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 06:36:04 AM »
There has been quite a few threads about bugs, glitches, and graphical errors, but nothing on the sound. This isn't a bug per say, but I thought I would mention it. The ambient sound is pretty quiet (I know it's the vacuum of space, but still), and I don't have desktop speakers, just built-in speakers on my Asus monitor. I have to turn my volume almost all the way up to hear the explosion sound effects (70 out of 100).

This is similar to what I experience when playing Watch Dogs. My sound needs to be around 75-80 to hear the game properly. Of course, this could just be because I don't have speakers, which is most likely the case. Oddly enough, Universe Sandbox 2 and Watch Dogs are the only games out of 40+ I have that require me to turn the volume way up to hear it.

Most of the time, I have it between 25 and 30, and can hear those other games just fine. I am guessing the sound is going to be tweaked throughout US2's development, so it could change I suppose.

In short, will the sound change at some point so you don't need to turn the volume up so high (at least for my case)?
I will make a video soon featuring US2, maybe you can experience them from there ;)