Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: particle watching problem (bug?)  (Read 5712 times)

FGFG

• Universe Sandbox 1 Beta Team
particle watching problem (bug?)
« on: May 15, 2009, 10:27:21 AM »
I've noticed that sometimes some particles that should be the nearest are under other particles of other objects:

For example, open the milky way - andromeda collision: when you whatch the milky way and behind it there is andromeda, the milky way looks like it is "hidden" by the particle of the other galaxy when it is nearer to you.

o  ===> O ===> O
You       Milky      Andromeda
             Way

Andromeda is better visible.

I've noticed this both on this and the old pc

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
Re: particle watching problem (bug?)
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 07:15:05 PM »
This is a known problem (that should happen for everyone) and has to do with the draw order of the particles that make up galaxies.

It's a problem that's not very obvious and so I haven't felt that it deserved too much attention.

When I move to the new lighting system (where light emits from stars), the work involved in setting this up may fix this problem. Either way this is something that I eventually want to solve.

Thanks for pointing it out.

FGFG

• Universe Sandbox 1 Beta Team
Re: particle watching problem (bug?)
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 01:53:27 AM »
When I move to the new lighting system (where light emits from stars), the work involved in setting this up may fix this problem. Either way this is something that I eventually want to solve.

I can't imagine how to light a galaxy... Obviously you can't make all the particles emit lights (and shadows !). It will be CPU-killing :P

Thanks for pointing it out.

No problem ;)