Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I can't think of a topic name  (Read 4999 times)

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
  • caught in the river turning blue
    • Paladin of Storms
I can't think of a topic name
« on: May 29, 2012, 01:55:31 PM »
So like, I was taking a shower, left? And suddenly, deep philosophical thought moment.

What if you took a human brain and put it inside <insert 4-legged animal of your choice that isn't too small>? Let's say for a moment that that human brain was you or me. Would you still be you? Would I still be me? What exactly are "we"? Are we just a collection of our experiences stored in our brain? How do we even exist as... data, basically? And assume for a moment that the brain connected correctly and you were at the very least self-aware, and your head worked (you could see, you could hear, you could taste, etc) would you be able to move any of your legs? Would your brain have to be specifically modified, or could your brain "learn" how to do it over time?

Take some time to think about this and discuss.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 02:03:05 PM by atomic7732 »

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
Re: You
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 01:57:04 PM »
I think memories are stored in the brain, so you would still be you*.

Just like if doctors sawed off your limbs and gave you prosthetic ones you'd still be you*.

If they cut you up, gave you new appendages, replaced your organs, bones, everything, you'd still be you*.

What it really depends on is how you define individuality, the state of being a person seperate from other persons. It depends on how you define 'you'.

Desacabose

• ?
Re: I can't think of a topic name
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 07:13:57 PM »
That is not possible for the brain is connected to your body via (let's just say) spine, and when you severe (again let's go with) your spine your brain can not be attached because (let's simply say) cords ()  it is impossible to(complicated) and  still allow you to(complicated)

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 07:21:00 PM »
Probably not with today's technology, but in the future it will likely to be possible and maybe even a common procedure.

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 07:24:21 PM »
That is not possible for the brain is connected to your body via (let's just say) spine, and when you severe (again let's go with) your spine your brain can not be attached because (let's simply say) cords ()  it is impossible to(complicated) and  still allow you to(complicated)
Let's assume it is possible for practical purposes of philosophical thought topicness. ;)

I think the most important question is:
Would your brain have to be specifically modified, or could your brain "learn" how to do it over time?
I don't know much about this, but I would like to think your brain could learn...

Desacabose

• ?
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 07:28:39 PM »
stih hitsiih

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 07:35:14 PM »
You would have to learn, i think, but as technology gets more advanced, this would not be necessary. It has been shown that neurons/nervs can reconnect themselves to other parts oft he body.

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 07:50:57 PM »
It has been shown that neurons/nervs can reconnect themselves to other parts oft he body.
Wow.

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 07:53:02 PM »
Yeah, if you're interested, there are some articles about it out on the internet. People have been able to control robotic limbs.

http://www.nanowerk.com/news/newsid=25269.php

Desacabose

• ?
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 08:25:12 PM »
stih hitsiih
I was fighting off Saxton Hale and a demonic bear when an owl swooped down and wrote that.