Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: If Sirius had planets (simulation)  (Read 6048 times)

dhm794

If Sirius had planets (simulation)
« on: January 01, 2012, 10:56:39 AM »
So, what if there were planets orbiting Sirius A and B?  What if five of those planets were habitable? 

Major kudos to FiahOwl for the awesome textures

And sorry for the uncreative planet names  :-\

smjjames

Re: If Sirius had planets (simulation)
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 11:08:24 AM »
Did you do that accretion style?

Anyways, even though Sirus is too short lived (spectral class A I think) for life to evolve before the sun dies, that's pretty cool.

While that type of star wouldn't be a good candidate for looking for life, it wouldn't rule out the possibility of a habitable planet or planets.

Edit: Five? Of those in the habitable zone of Sirius (Sirius B's habitable zone isn't correct as the temp is below zero F even when that objects planet is closer in than the edge of it's hab zone. So, some value isn't being applied because its hab zone shouldn't even be in that spot.), one is an asteroid, two are most likely gas giants if not ocean Super Earths. Of the two moons, the larger of the two could very well have an atmosphere as it's bigger than Titan. Don't know if the other one could actually have an atmosphere.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 11:52:53 AM by smjjames »

dhm794

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 11:32:50 AM »
Did you do that accretion style?

Anyways, even though Sirus is too short lived (spectral class A I think) for life to evolve before the sun dies, that's pretty cool.

While that type of star wouldn't be a good candidate for looking for life, it wouldn't rule out the possibility of a habitable planet or planets.

Ha, yeah I didn't really think about the science while I was making it.  Though it is an editable simulation, so feel free to make a realistic one and upload it  8)

FiahOwl

• This is, to give a dog and in recompense desire my dog again.
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 12:09:38 PM »
You use my textures in the sim? Make sure to say that you must have my textures or all the planets will look like the moon

EDIT: Oh, and great job on the sim!

EDIT: I don't see my textures in it??!!

FiahOwl

• This is, to give a dog and in recompense desire my dog again.
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 12:13:37 PM »
And it seems kinda... Quick. A lot of the masses and skins are default, and I have no idea how the planet a 1.00 Jupiter mass planet is green and looks like Endor :P.

dhm794

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 02:57:40 PM »
Yeah, it's entirely science fiction.  

And yeah, I'm not getting the textures either for some reason.  Just black planets. 

smjjames

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 03:14:43 PM »
And yeah, I'm not getting the textures either for some reason.  Just black planets. 

They have textures for me, all default textures though.

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 03:19:30 PM »
if you don't have the textures he used in the correct filepath, you'll get the moon default texture. Not sure what the black planets issue is. Maybe your lighting is turned down too low?

dhm794

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 06:20:32 PM »
It only seems to be an issue with the one I uploaded