Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Is Venus in Ubox "programmed" to rotate clockwise?  (Read 5081 times)

Yannos

Is Venus in Ubox "programmed" to rotate clockwise?
« on: November 28, 2011, 02:30:59 PM »
Title says is all. I was experimenting with planet rotation and was about to create a star orbited by 2 planets.

I was about to leave one planet untouched rotating around itself counterclockwise.

The plan was to search Ubox for the option to make the other planet rotate around itself clockwise. I decided to use
the Venus model just for fun because it rotates clockwise in real life and guess what:

After placing it it started rotating clockwise anyway. The Venus texture in Ubox is a bit vague so I had to bombard the planet to create a noticeable mark. And it seems it was indeed going clockwise.

So am I doing something wrong, am I interpreting or seeing something wrong? Or did Dan actually predicted this scenario and Venus is set to move in the way it moves in real life?

By the way I am going to check Uranus now.

FiahOwl

• This is, to give a dog and in recompense desire my dog again.
Re: Is Venus in Ubox "programmed" to rotate clockwise?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 02:39:34 PM »
Dan flipped Venus so it's south pole faces north, which gives it it's clockwise rotation.

Since the models have axial tilt (try putting Earth out and see the 23.5 tilt), Uranus is at it's proper tilt.

Yannos

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 03:44:04 PM »
Dan flipped Venus so it's south pole faces north, which gives it it's clockwise rotation.

Since the models have axial tilt (try putting Earth out and see the 23.5 tilt), Uranus is at it's proper tilt.

This explains a lot, thank you Fiahowl.

I also just found out that for us that we can not flip around planets, there is an option to change the direction of the rotation under Dynamic Properties. Go to rot x which in earth is about 24 hours and put a minus sign in front of it. Negative time will not drag you into the past in Ubox, but it will make your planet keep its rotational period while at the same time the rotation will be opposite to what it was.  ;D

You probably now wonder what happens to the planet's moons and how are those affected. Unfortunately they keep going as if nothing happened. I will make a clear report on this on the suggestion box. I will not report anything once Ubox is mainly a gravity simulator and a change in the rotation would affect the moon(s) in ways unrelated to gravity, silly me.

EDIT: Or you can throw a meteor big enough and fast enough to change your planet's rotation. Just make sure you are on bounce mode. Then delete the meteor and you are good to go.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 03:53:18 PM by Yannos »

FiahOwl

• This is, to give a dog and in recompense desire my dog again.
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 03:54:02 PM »

This explains a lot, thank you Fiahowl.

I also just found out that for us that we can not flip around planets, there is an option to change the direction of the rotation under Dynamic Properties. Go to rot x which in earth is about 24 hours and put a minus sign in front of it. Negative time will not drag you into the past in Ubox, but it will make your planet keep its rotational period while at the same time the rotation will be opposite to what it was.  ;D

You probably now wonder what happens to the planet's moons and how are those affected. Unfortunately they keep going as if nothing happened. I will make a clear report on this on the suggestion box. I will not report enything once Ubox is mainly a gravity simulator and a change in the rotation would affect the moon(s) in ways unrelated to gravity, silly me.

EDIT: Or you can throw a meteor big enough and fast enough to change your planet's rotation. Just make sure you are on bounce mode. Then delete the meteor and you are good to go.

Yeah, I use the reverse rotation feature a lot.

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 03:55:58 PM »
funny, what do you mean you cant flip the planet. Can't you use the hand tool and grab one of the rings to flip it upside down?

Yannos

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 04:00:45 PM »
funny, what do you mean you cant flip the planet. Can't you use the hand tool and grab one of the rings to flip it upside down?

I rarely use the hand tool if at all. I am going t start now  :D Thanks!