Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Thrive - What Spore Should Have Been Like  (Read 28361 times)

Bla

• Global Moderator
  • The stars died so you can live.
Thrive - What Spore Should Have Been Like
« on: November 18, 2011, 11:24:07 AM »
Thrive is a game I'm following with almost as much excitement as Infinity: The Quest for Earth. I guess most of you know Spore, which... Failed in so many ways. Will Wright said that the game developers had split into two camps, the cutists and the scienceists, and said that it had reached a good bla lance. But obviously the cutists were the one who won, and ruined much of the game.
So Thrive is an indie game which wants to make what Spore should had been like. Like everything which is awesome, it uses a wiki structure instead of a website.
http://thrivegame.wikidot.com/

AND I FOUND THIS MENU DEMO VIDEO AND THE END SAID "ALPHA COMING SOON" OH MY FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER kol.
http://www.indiedb.com/games/thrive/videos/menu-demo

matty406

Re: Thrive - What Spore Should Have Been Like
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 11:29:14 AM »
I must agree.
But will there be buildings, vehicles craft, ect?

Also, that galaxy needs some work.

smjjames

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 11:37:15 AM »
Yea, too bad EA got it's claws into it. Still, it was a pioneer with the way it did things with the editor and it certainly launched the evolution sandbox type game genre to new heights. As fun as it was for a while, it's not particularily realistic and got tons of things that were in early on, scrapped, not to mention that it was just too linear.

Anyways, it definetly sounds cool, and that creature on the desktop looks awesome, I wonder if thats from the game itself. It looks like it will have one thing that Spore should have had, a water stage.

What would be even better would be screenshots of the game itself.

Edit: Check out the planet editor page: http://thrivegame.wikidot.com/planet-editor

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 11:49:15 AM »
Yes, it writes a lot of great ideas. I hope they can implement them into a real game, I've had huge troubles trying to get any idea of how far they actually are.

It looks like it will have a more general "tech editor", which will edit all of those things.
http://thrivegame.wikidot.com/tech-editor

The galaxy is just a drawing by an artist.

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
  • caught in the river turning blue
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 02:50:16 PM »
That. Is. Amazing.

Can't wait.

matty406

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 04:27:12 PM »
The best thing is it'll be free and open source!

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
  • caught in the river turning blue
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 04:36:37 PM »
Free software for all!

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 03:09:57 AM »
The topic broke, but I have no idea what message caused it to break. So here are the messages posted after the last one I remembered I saw:

FiahOwl
OMG I CANT WAIT!

smjjames
Yea, the fact that it is freeware makes it even awesomer. :) It's even open source as well I believe, or at least it will be as it's still early in development.

Anyways, I did look in the development forums and they are definetly pretty far along. Not exactly close to what would be called a beta state (beta testing and all that), but well on the way there, given that it has been in development for at least two years now and is close to Alpha stage.

deoxy99
Matty already said it'll be open source. :P

smjjames
Anybody know how beta testing for open source games work? Not sure if there is a NDA with that, but I guess it all depends on how they decide to do the beta testing.

Might join the beta testing when that starts.

Also, I hope the graphics requirements aren't too high as it sounds like it could be graphics intensive.

FiahOwl
Quote from: smjjames
Anybody know how beta testing for open source games work? Not sure if there is a NDA with that, but I guess it all depends on how they decide to do the beta testing.

Might join the beta testing when that starts.

Also, I hope the graphics requirements aren't too high as it sounds like it could be graphics intensive.

Example is Minecraft.

mudkipz
spore=monotonous repetition after a while. i don't like that.

NeutronStar
Fiah, I believe that Minecraft is not open source.

FiahOwl
Quote from: NeutronStar
Fiah, I believe that Minecraft is not open source.

Oh crap, I was thinking easy modability.

deoxy99
I can't view the topic, I have to use some exploit to post. :(

smjjames
Same thing here, I've already PMd Bla.

Had to go through recent posts to view the posts and actually be able to post.
Quote from: mudkipz
spore=monotonous repetition after a while. i don't like that.

Yeah, and like I said, too linear. While space stage is nice, it has some pretty serious drawbacks.

FiahOwl

• This is, to give a dog and in recompense desire my dog again.
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 06:16:38 AM »

This message is only viewable with Universe Sandbox Galaxy Edition. Access it and much more with promo-code '47399'.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 02:06:01 AM by FiahOwl »

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011, 07:07:49 AM »
yeah what/how did you do lol

smjjames

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 07:14:35 AM »
Bla said in his response that it has happened before and he has no idea what causes it. Could have been completely random for all we know.

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2011, 07:19:34 AM »
yes, but fiahowl said he did it

so i'm asking him what he did :P

smjjames

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2011, 07:35:22 AM »
I had thought that as well last night that maybe Fiah somehow broke the thread, but maybe he doesn't know how it happened.

The link could have done it, but that doesn't make sense. Either way, it's not his fault that the thread decided to break on his post as he wasn't trying to break it.

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2011, 07:56:15 AM »
also its too easy (is there a difficulty adjuster?)-

smjjames

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2011, 08:38:14 AM »
also its too easy (is there a difficulty adjuster?)-

Spore? I forget if there was a difficulty adjuster, but yes there wasn't much challenge and not a whole lot of strategy to it. In civilization stage, there is a bit of strategy, but it's all too easy to simply mass produce with an efficient city layout. Probably one of the more challenging/memorable bits was in tribal when I was attacking a tribe with all I had and even after several tries, I still couldn't, so I declared them worthy opponents and allied with them. The cool part is that they were a species I had created.

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2011, 09:21:58 AM »
the epics in creature stage are a bit of a challenge though, those are fun.

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2011, 09:34:23 AM »
You can choose easy, medium or hard. Easy and medium are almost the same, but hard is hard imo, at least at some points. But the strategy part of tribal/city/space stages is still extremely simple.
And space should be with building up armies of spaceships, like in civ stage, not just flying around and playing galactic hero... It makes no sense at all to have one single spaceship as the entire military of an interstellar empire.

smjjames

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2011, 09:47:14 AM »
Not to mention those Fng annoying space pirates. That's what an orbital defense grid and local defenses are for. I'd have been fine with controlling a single ship and doing the exploring, etc with that, but a single ship shouldn't be your entire military.

I always played on easy mode, just because.... and also because I preferred to do exploration.

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2011, 10:04:19 AM »
Agreed. And bio disasters. It is just too repetitive and makes it impossible to really explore.
I modded the game to make pirate raids much rarer some years ago. I don't remember what I used, but there's a big mod called Better Spore or something, and I think the site has the tools to mod the game as well.

I also use easy on my main saves (well my latest one medium). I read this on the Spore Wikia:

Easy
Spaceship base health is 1500
Decreased attack frequency when at war.

Normal
Spaceship base health is 1000

Hard
Spaceship base health is 300
Increased pirate attack frequency.
Increased attack frequency when at war.
Warrior and Zealot nations demand more unreasonable quantities of money in exchange for peace.
Ecologic disaster rate increases

More pirate attacks and bio disasters just ruins hard mode. It's not hard to stop them, it's just annoying and repetitive. Getting attacked is also sort of repetitive, because it's always with the same amount of ships, and annoying because they try to ruin your cities instead of fighting your ship first.

deoxy99

• Universe Sandbox 1 Beta Team
  • ✨ the name's verb ✨
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2011, 10:07:28 AM »
Warrior and Zealot nations demand more unreasonable quantities of money in exchange for peace.
This happens to me when I am at peace with them! It's so annoying! >:(

smjjames

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2011, 11:59:16 AM »
The pirates were annoying even on easy. I did use the betterspore mod, although I don't remember if I disabled pirates completely or not. Those bio disasters come up way too often and were always some kind of plague and had no real basis to the reason.

Another big issue was that planet editing only preserved a finite number of changes and all too oiften erased what you did after leaving and returning.

I generally just ignored the bio disasters, etc unless I needed to fix relations, but that stuff was especially annoying, and when I'm exploring on the friggin opposite side of the galaxy 500,000 light years away, forget it!

FiahOwl

• This is, to give a dog and in recompense desire my dog again.
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2011, 02:04:44 PM »

This message is only viewable with Universe Sandbox Galaxy Edition. Access it and much more with promo-code '47426'.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 02:05:58 AM by FiahOwl »

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2015, 03:30:54 PM »
Thrive released an update to its prototype. Looks like the cell stage is evolving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7CjzL3vcJw