Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: [Help] Meteor Rain  (Read 3254 times)

Yannos

[Help] Meteor Rain
« on: November 05, 2011, 09:10:48 AM »
This time I am trying to create a sim in which about 30 meteors with pretty much the mass of Ceres target earth and moon.

The plan is to be relatively far when launching them on earth and watch what happens.

So what happened is that they all got pretty close to earth, slightly disturbed its orbit direction, but none fell on the planet. They were all dodged and exostracized.

Is this normal? Any more info on this phenomenon?

FiahOwl

• This is, to give a dog and in recompense desire my dog again.
Re: [Help] Meteor Rain
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 09:21:13 AM »
This time I am trying to create a sim in which about 30 meteors with pretty much the mass of Ceres target earth and moon.

The plan is to be relatively far when launching them on earth and watch what happens.

So what happened is that they all got pretty close to earth, slightly disturbed its orbit direction, but none fell on the planet. They were all dodged and exostracized.

Is this normal? Any more info on this phenomenon?

Huh? and BTW, There is a UnSB Help Forum.

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 09:22:18 AM »
the help forum is for technical help/bugs/glitches.
yannos, try turning the time step down when they get close :)
press f to fire if you aren't using that.

Yannos

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 09:26:30 AM »
the help forum is for technical help/bugs/glitches.
yannos, try turning the time step down when they get close :)
press f to fire if you aren't using that.

mudkiz to the the rescue. Yes I am launching them with F. I was not sure if that slingshot effect was the "normal" one that can happen in nature or because of the time step inaccuracy. Now I know, thanks a lot!

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 09:29:16 AM »
hehe, no problem. It happens because as th object moves closer to the planet, it gets faster and faster. So one frame it's in front of the planet, and the next, it passes through the planet without colliding.

Unfortunately, here is where Auto-time step fails. It can't adjust quickly enough to prevent this.