Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How can I make spacecraft a actual model and image? i'm new at that stuff  (Read 10471 times)

AstronomerSolar

Hello.

Can some brilliant mind here mught be able to tell me how to add
the spacecraft as a NASA spacecraft, or might be able to change one of the dice or "play" objects
into a Orbiter NASA space craft. I've not a clue on where to start, can someone give me a tut? or PM me? or tut in topic?
it could help people with my situation too. if i left out any thing please tell me and i will add. i will check this topic daily. Thanks guys.

???

SuperNova

• Universe Sandbox 1 Beta Team
  • ROW ROW, FIGHT THE POWAH!
    • Dreadnaught BG
Hello AstronomerSolar.
Its pretty easy to import models into Universe Sandbox. but keep in mind this is still in beta and not yet finished.

Things you'll need:
A model.
A 3D software: Blender or 3DS max with .x plugin
Universe sandbox.

I'll be using 3DS max cause i dont know how to use blender, its annoying.
start 3DS max up (start blender up)

Here is my 3D model. (same as blender)

Export as OBJ (in blender, export it as .x or as OBJ) and save it to your Universe sandbox Media folder. (C:\Documents\UniverseSandbox\Media\)

Spawn anything, i'll be using a comet

click it, second tab and select ''Open Media Folder''

select your model and you're done!
Enjoy.

P.S: add me on steam, Intensive Mono Unit or MonoNova, both are the same.

shadowhunter388

• "United We Stand. Divided We Fall."
So I can export it as a obj and sandbox universe will read it?  ???

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
I need some help with this...
When i select the model out of the folder that opens when i click the folder icon in the 2nd tab
It just asks which program to use to open the file. If i pick universe sandbox, the simulations just dissapears.

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
You have to place the model file in the media folder (the folder that opens when you click on the folder icon):
Documents\Universe Sandbox\Media

And then you type the name of the file into the text box to load the file.

Sorry for setting this up in a non-standard way. This will be improved in a future release.

Save it as an .x file or .3ds file.

shadowhunter388

You have to place the model file in the media folder (the folder that opens when you click on the folder icon):
Documents\Universe Sandbox\Media

And then you type the name of the file into the text box to load the file.

Sorry for setting this up in a non-standard way. This will be improved in a future release.

Save it as an .x file or .3ds file.

Thank you for the reply Dan. One more question, If I make a 3ds file and put it into my Media folder for US do I have to edit the Appearance XML. for it to show?

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
No need to edit any files.

Just put it in the Media folder, select an object, and then type the name of the model into the model text box.

shadowhunter388

Okay Thanks Dan.

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
Please post again if you run into any issues.

Jonko

When I open the downloaded file with Blender, it's only a cube, while it's supposed to be a sattelite. Anyone know what's wrong?

Joshimitsu91

• Hit me up on Steam: "Joshimitsu91"
When I open the downloaded file with Blender, it's only a cube, while it's supposed to be a sattelite. Anyone know what's wrong?

The default "blank" canvas with blender is a cube i believe, so maybe it hasn't opened properly? Try opening blender and then loading the model.

Jonko

The default "blank" canvas with blender is a cube i believe, so maybe it hasn't opened properly? Try opening blender and then loading the model.

When I do that I can't even open it. There is a 3ds file, a ssc file a few texture files and some weird xyzv file. But so far, everything I download from http://www.celestiamotherlode.net/ are the same. Either 3ds or ssc.

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
My mistake. The .3DS doesn't currently work, it will however in the next update (you'll also be able to open OBJ files too in 2.1.3).

Currently the only 3D format that Universe Sandbox can open is .X

I'm sorry for the confusion and incorrect information.

Jonko

But how is everyone else using this software? No matter what 3d models I download, Blender can't open them.

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
But how is everyone else using this software? No matter what 3d models I download, Blender can't open them.

That's a good question. I'm not sure either.

Blender should be able to open a 3DS file. Can you upload one here that doesn't work (or provide the link where I can download it) and I'll try it.

Jonko

That's a good question. I'm not sure either.

Blender should be able to open a 3DS file. Can you upload one here that doesn't work (or provide the link where I can download it) and I'll try it.

http://www.celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/spacecraft.php

I've downloaded the Rosetta Probe & Hubble telescope (And some others, but it's all the same so far)

Thanks for helping.

shadowhunter388

idk, I think it has to do with Blender, like for me when I put a 3DS file into Blender, it would not show it, but when I put a 3ds it showed it. So I just decided to get rid of blender and get the trail of 3d Max 2012 and got a plugin to support .X and 3ds.

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
I just tried this search:
http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1TSNF_enUS431US431&aq=f&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=blender+open+3ds&qscrl=1

It doesn't look like Blender opens 3DS files by default.

(and I've never used Blender)

I think you need to find an importer. Can someone who's used Blender help with that?