Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Merri Kurisumasu!  (Read 5806 times)

Naru523

• Universe Sandbox 1 Beta Team
  • let's walk the true path of life
Merri Kurisumasu!
« on: December 25, 2010, 08:30:11 AM »
... because someone needed to make one in the morning.

My presents were:
A 450x microscope (I think)
An Atlas book
Probably not related to presents, but I can rent two games and trade them for free.
And three flavors of popcorn if that counts  :P

And I think I have more... Just didn't check.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 07:46:59 PM by Naru523 »

Bla

• Global Moderator
  • The stars died so you can live.
Re: Merry Christmas!
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 08:54:36 AM »
Happy holidays. :) (sorry, I can't help it, but "Christ"mas has absolutely nothing to do with Christianity :P)

I got the book "The Grand Design" by Stephen Hawking, a new mouse pad, an LED lamp to replace an evil light bulb lamp (:P), a gift card to some book stores, two 2GB USB flash memory sticks, two presents which weren't possible to get for the 24th (a new keyboard and "The Ancestor's Tale" by Richard Dawkins), and a physics book about formulae, concepts etc.

I've considered whether I would use a microscope. What would you use yours for? I could pull a hair off and examine it, look at dead flies or insects if I found them (I've tried this, and it's very interesting to see the eyes of flies and their wings in fact), or maybe if I get sick try to find some bacteriae (if it's not a virus, and if I can even find it among the many harmless bacteriae, and if the microscope can zoom in that much). Hmm.

Darvince

• 差不多
Re: Merry Fishmas!
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2010, 10:53:16 AM »

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
  • caught in the river turning blue
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2010, 01:22:55 PM »
(sorry, I can't help it, but "Christ"mas has absolutely nothing to do with Christianity :P)
Not anymore at least. Now it's all about buying stuff and crap. Of course it's all cool, but it's commercialized, and people don't even know what it's about anymore.

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2010, 02:24:28 PM »
Not anymore at least. Now it's all about buying stuff and crap. Of course it's all cool, but it's commercialized, and people don't even know what it's about anymore.
It has never been. Christmas was essentially how Christians stole several pagan traditions at the Winter Solstice to make it more easy to convert people.
I personally think buying stuff is better than celebrating an ideology religion. I think there are other ways to view the giving gifts part than as a capitalist idea. I like the idea of giving presents to other people, as long as it doesn't mean that all you care for is only getting presents yourself. The fact that so many people only think of the "getting presents" aspect of the holidays, ignoring the part where we equally give presents, makes me think they're slightly ironic in their critic, because it makes it look, at least to me, that they've become exactly what they are against, people who lust for presents and don't care the slightest about giving presents to other people.
But the best part of the season is of course spending time with the rest of your family minus the hateful ones and all those strange and wierd but cozy and fun things you do, like placing a huge pinetree in the middle of your living room, decorating it with lots of wierd stuff etc.
I don't see exactly what the commercialization of the holidays has ruined. Just stop buying presents for each other? :P I don't see how it makes it any harder for you to spend time with your family etc. Even if someone wants to celebrate the myth of it being a Christian holiday, I don't see how it destroys it for them.

But you said people don't even know what it's about anymore. I agree, because most people think it's about the birth of Jesus. Which is exactly false. It isn't. Jesus wasn't born during the Winter Solstice. December 25th was the original time of the Winter Solstice (but now it's 21st due to the Julian Calender being stupid :P). And that time was a time celebrated in most places in the northern hemisphere of Earth, in many different cultures, traditions and religions. As I mentioned in another topic, in Denmark, we call it Jul (similar to the English "Yule"). Jul has become far more christianized than commercialized, if anything, to the point where the traditions is on the brink of having it's history forgotten by most people. And ignorance is, of course, the best tool religions have when rewriting history in their favor.

Darvince

• 差不多
Re: Merry Fishmas!
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2010, 02:59:39 PM »
It was during the summer anyway, but meh. It gives a break in the middle of the school year.  :P
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 03:05:47 PM by Darvince »

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
  • caught in the river turning blue
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2010, 03:00:19 PM »
Maybe you have false sources. WHenever you go into controversial topics like this, there are "legit" sites that aren't legit.

It's just like the people who believe in the 2012 doomsday.

As for the real meaning of this topic: I got...

A weather station that uploads data to my computer and graphs it.
A new table
A new chair
A rug :P

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2010, 03:03:06 PM »
Pajamas
Camera
Sharpies
Tape
Random Shiz

matty406

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2010, 03:40:37 PM »
DJ Hero 2
HUEG box of Jaffa Cakes
Electric pencil sharpener.
An electric shaver. Regrettably, the time of my life has come where I begin to get bundles of shower gel and deodorant piled upon me every Christmas.

Oh, and a Toy Story 3 DVD, I'm still a kid at heart. :P

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2010, 04:16:07 PM »
Maybe you have false sources. WHenever you go into controversial topics like this, there are "legit" sites that aren't legit.

It's just like the people who believe in the 2012 doomsday.
The difference is that the 2012 doomsday is that it has absolutely no evidence for it's claims, and whenever anyone tries to, it is always refuted by Science - which places it in the same basket as religions.

I assume I don't need sources for the existence of the previous pagan traditions taking place around the winter solstice, like the Norse celebration of Yule and Roman Saturnalia.
Also, I don't really see why any sources would be biased towards the pagan religions in Europe at that time, as no one really believes in them. Bias towards Christianity seems more likely, as the majority in USA is Christian, and some of it very Christian, while much of western Europe essentially doesn't really care much about religion.
What needs to be proven is the date of Jesus' birth, and the origins of the traditions associated with "Christmas". Without evidence, we can say theres 1/365 chance that it was December 25 if he existed, thus there is 364/365 chance that his birth was merely moved to correspond with the winter solstice.
So far, everything I've read suggested that Jesus' birth is very disputed and that no historians would claim his birth to be at that date.

Also, if we look at many of the wierd things we do during Jul, like the Juletræ/"Christmas" tree, it has nothing to do with Christianity. The evergreens were common in Northern Europe and symbolic because they were green in the winter, where the other trees lost their leaves, and the tradition of evergreens predate not only the time Christianity arrived in northern Europe, but the time it was founded itself as well. Yule logs and the feast are also from the holidays lasting from December 21 until the logs burned out, where people would eat the cattle slaughtered so it wouldn't need to be feeded during the winter, where food was scarse. Really, how do you make any sense of it if it's all about Jesus. :/

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2010, 08:05:27 PM »
Why do you always capitalize science, is it a deity or something...  :P :P

Because I would be considered religious, but i don't capitalize religion...
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 08:25:19 PM by Darvince »

Naru523

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2010, 09:02:06 PM »
Why do you always capitalize science, is it a deity or something...  :P :P

Because science is awesome.

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2010, 04:25:26 AM »
Because science is awesome.
Quoted for epic TЯUTH
(warning: Do no pronounce it tyauth).

SuperNova

• ROW ROW, FIGHT THE POWAH!
    • Dreadnaught BG
Re: Merri Kurisumasu!
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2010, 08:19:06 AM »
Well i got
PSP 3004
Kingdom Hearts BBS

Nothing more. :P

Naru523

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2010, 08:19:50 AM »
Kingdom Hearts BBS

Give. me. EEETTTT.

Nawww just kidding.

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2010, 08:40:53 AM »
Well i got
Universe Sandbox DS

GIMME GIMME GIMME

SuperNova

• ROW ROW, FIGHT THE POWAH!
    • Dreadnaught BG
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2010, 12:06:51 PM »
Well actualy, i have Universe Sandbox DS.
And i am telling the full truth.