Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Roche Limit in next version  (Read 4166 times)

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
Roche Limit in next version
« on: June 30, 2010, 02:05:54 PM »
A Universe Sandbox user wrote:

I'm trying to test the feasibility of the existence of a planet orbiting a brown dwarf within the habitable zone of the star ( manually I calculate that the habitable zone are at 0,005 AU of the star).

I would like to know how to show the habitable zone around this star because the U.S. insists considers it as a planet and does not enable the checkbox "Habitable Zone".

Dan a suggestion: based on this experiment I thought it would be interesting if the U.S. has a function for displaying the Roche Limit of a star or planet. I think in terms of programming would be a small change in the function of showing the Habitability Zone. What do you think?

The problem with planets converted into stars not being considered stars will be fixed in the next version (2.0.8) and a checkbox to toggle Roche limit has been added.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roche_limit

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
  • caught in the river turning blue
    • Paladin of Storms
Re: Roche Limit in next version
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 02:12:18 PM »
Awesome. This is gonna be great.

I think US should have a thing to detect a star, then any object about 1000 km around is a "planet", and if you have a "planet" any object orbiting it is "n's moon", it detects the name. Kind of like how you have Titan is a "Moon of Saturn".

APODman

• Universe Sandbox 1 Beta Team
    • Astronomic Picture of the Day - Brazil
Re: Roche Limit in next version
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 04:12:04 PM »
Great Dan !

Very nice upgrade !

I'm anxious

[ ]´s

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer