Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Using US2 To Practice Planet Finding Skills?  (Read 6206 times)

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
  • caught in the river turning blue
    • Paladin of Storms
Using US2 To Practice Planet Finding Skills?
« on: June 18, 2010, 10:59:29 PM »
Yes sir or ma'am. You can do that.

Using US2, you can find the velocity of an object. If you have a planet with moons, or a star with planets, open up Micrsoft Powerpoint (or similar), and make a scatter plot. Time vs velocity. Run the simulation, and take samples of the parent's velocity and the time at which it happened. This will bring you the correct shape curve if in a scatter plot, if not, it wont work.

This is using the Radial Velocity method. Just like scientists use to find extrasolar planets. It's interesting trying to find out, what curves make what. And from that... you can try to calculate the orbits.

There are vels files for systemic, and I am going to figure out how you can get them in there. When I do, I'll update you.

Below is a data sample of an Earth with quite a few moons. (to be added when I finish it)

infringement153

Re: Using US2 To Practice Planet Finding Skills?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 11:39:41 PM »
If you're just using US2 to get the data, it'd probably just be better to use a program that exports raw data instead, no?

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 11:42:13 PM »
Problem is, there is none. You can't do this stuff. It's simpler this way. I think!

Here is a 100 data sample of earth with some other moons (Luna not visible), data span was about 20 hours

infringement153

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 11:58:56 PM »
Any similar chart maker I could use that's free?

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 12:03:58 AM »
I don't know any chart maker programs. You'll just have to google it. Sorry.

Btw, look for scatter plots. Don't use line charts. They line it up exactly the same increment. You don't want that unless you know that's what you will get. The same increments. every 4 hours or something.

infringement153

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 12:17:26 AM »
I'll try open office.

Maybe you could do a chart of a planet with one orbiter?  Or the sun in the solar system?  Or a real exoplanet system?  Just a thought.  Don't feel you have to do them.

deoxy99

• Universe Sandbox 1 Beta Team
  • ✨ the name's verb ✨
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 10:34:47 AM »
Actually, with that scatter plot, you can actually make a line that goes through those, and it'll be a curve. Volia! You have the orbit of the moon!

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 10:54:46 AM »
Not really, the problem is, you would need sines and cosines, on sines and cosines. It would be very odd...

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 10:56:43 AM »
I'll try open office.

Maybe you could do a chart of a planet with one orbiter?  Or the sun in the solar system?  Or a real exoplanet system?  Just a thought.  Don't feel you have to do them.

I was starting on our solar system.  :)

A planet with one orbiter would be the same pattern, repeated. The thing is, you may want to investigate one planet systems with eccentric orbits. It makes the curve a bit different.

Extrasolar planet systems, yeah, I was going to do that also.

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 04:54:26 PM »
Here is a 50 or so day, 86 iteration graph of 55 Cancri's radial velocity. With labels of what the planets are.

I found b first (easy!), then I found "possible c", but then found e, quickly confirming c's presence.