Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: A suggestion  (Read 3609 times)

Laura

A suggestion
« on: May 26, 2010, 10:09:08 PM »
A  'Tidal Lock' function to go with the 'Auto Orbit' function.
Would save the user from doing rather nasty math to get the rotation just right :)

Btw, I don't mean to seem like I'm complaining or anything. I love US2 to bits :)

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
Re: A suggestion
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 10:25:17 AM »
Awesome idea. In fact, I've already got this working. It will be in the upcoming 2.0.4 version.

The button is next to the rotation period properties. Select a body, switch to the Dynamic properties tab and find the text box that says "rotX". (It's not there yet, wait for 2.0.4)

This feature simply sets the rotation period of the selected body equal to its orbital period.

This new feature won't work exactly right if the axis of the body's rotation isn't aligned with its orbital plane, but this is a good starting point.

---

Feature ideas are always welcome. Constructive criticism and complaints are also encouraged. As the developer, it's easy to become blind to problems or issues that are obvious to everyone else. How else am I going to make it better if you don't tell me what's wrong?

Laura

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 12:49:11 AM »
I'm very pleased to see it in the new 2.0.4 update :)

It still needs to make the body it's used on rotate relative to the plane of orbit rather than absolute world coordinates, but it's a great start. It should work perfectly on objects in an equatorial orbit.

Sanduleak

• sanduleak.org
    • The Cinderdar Observatory
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 02:45:16 PM »

I agree with Laura: it will be very useful even if it' not perfect to begin with.