Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Aging of Stars and Terrestrial Planets  (Read 4706 times)

duhuhu

Aging of Stars and Terrestrial Planets
« on: September 05, 2014, 09:33:26 PM »
As all people who play this game probably know, Stars change through time. When they are young, they are small, dense and bright. When they get older, they grow to red giants/blue supergiants. then in death, they either puff off their outer layers and create a white dwarf star which slowly cools to a black dwarf star, or it goes supernova which can result in nothing, a neutron star, or a black hole.

What I would love to see from this game is actual aging of the stars so that they will go through these processes if you let them age long enough.

I would also love to see terrestrial planets that have changing continents and surface features based on movement of randomly generated tectonic plates. (i realize this would take an immense amount of computing power, but it is just an idea)

One more idea for the aging of planets is with gas giants. If you look at Jupiter and Saturn, they are constantly changing based on weather patterns. The Great Red Spot of Jupiter has only been around for a couple thousand years. Same with the great blue spot on Neptune. The bands also change with time.

I doubt that all of this could be implemented without running the program on a supercomputer, but it would be great for some eye candy effects.

Xriqxa

• 01000011 01101111 01101101 01101101 01110101 01101
Re: Aging of Stars and Terrestrial Planets
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 12:04:05 AM »
You've obviously never heard of Universe Sandbox 2 :P

Marethyu

• Your Average Forumer
Re: Aging of Stars and Terrestrial Planets
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 05:02:50 PM »
You've obviously never heard of Universe Sandbox 2 :P
Heh! Best answer ever. xD