Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Beta Centauri planetary system  (Read 3126 times)

Flukestarbucker

Beta Centauri planetary system
« on: April 08, 2013, 12:56:23 PM »
Hi All,
I haven't played with the Sandbox in quite some time, but,now that we have a confirmed planet!....
If this has been done already, please send me the link.
 1.Can I take the existing "Alpha Centauri Simulation" and pin the two stars? ( so my planet paths don't look like
  Slinkys)
 2. Does the program allow for accretion? ( to see if those pesky Gas Giants are created )   

Thanks,
Fluke

smjjames

Re: Beta Centauri planetary system
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 02:15:53 PM »
1. The problem with pinning binary stars is that you won't get a realistic system, then again, the two stars are a pretty decent distance apart. Also, you can change the viewpoint that the trails are based on.
2. Ubox2 doesn't exactly simulate accretion directly, but you can simulate the whole proccess using this: http://universesandbox.com/forum/index.php/topic,9303.0.html

I simulated the Alpha Centauri system (minus Proxima) as an accretion system before using a modified version of that and had a marauding gas giant mass planet, so they will form.

Ubox3 will be able to simulate accretion MUCH better than Ubox2.

APODman

• Universe Sandbox 1 Beta Team
    • Astronomic Picture of the Day - Brazil
Re: Beta Centauri planetary system
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 12:14:56 PM »
1. The problem with pinning binary stars is that you won't get a realistic system, then again, the two stars are a pretty decent distance apart. Also, you can change the viewpoint that the trails are based on.
2. Ubox2 doesn't exactly simulate accretion directly, but you can simulate the whole proccess using this: http://universesandbox.com/forum/index.php/topic,9303.0.html

I simulated the Alpha Centauri system (minus Proxima) as an accretion system before using a modified version of that and had a marauding gas giant mass planet, so they will form.

Ubox3 will be able to simulate accretion MUCH better than Ubox2.

In the time of the discover I did a simulation in US of Alpha Centauri system (including Alpha Centauri C) with the exoplanet Alpha Centauri Bb.

The file of the simulation are attached