Balance
1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: Help  (Read 4792 times)

VladTheImpaler

• Prince of Wallachia
Help
« on: January 12, 2012, 01:11:07 PM »
I just got Universe Sandbox, and so far, Vladimir has liked it, so you have fled from your punishment.
However, my question now, or my request to be exact, is how to make a solar system? It just seems complicated even though it's a drag-and-drop.
So what do I do?
Here is what makes it complicated
---------------------
I place a star, and a planet, the planet begins orbiting the star, normally, but after a while it crashes to the star, why?

FiahOwl

• This is, to give a dog and in recompense desire my dog again.
Re: Help
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 01:15:59 PM »
Why does it crash into the star??

Bla

• Global Moderator
  • The stars died so you can live.
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 01:17:21 PM »
That sounds strange. If you hover the cursor over the planet, does it show a line going around the star like a circle or does it show a straight line pointing towards the star?

Maybe it launches it with a very small initial velocity which isn't enough to orbit the star, but I'm not sure.

VladTheImpaler

• Prince of Wallachia
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 01:29:13 PM »
I have the orbital line pointing towards the star, but this is not the problem, don't worry, it's not a bug, I think it's a problem by me, maybe dis proper placement.
And by the way, I have another question.
Is it possible to place a moon orbiting a planet orbiting a star? Because when I do, the moon crashes with the planet.

FiahOwl

• This is, to give a dog and in recompense desire my dog again.
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 01:30:18 PM »
I have the orbital line pointing towards the star, but this is not the problem, don't worry, it's not a bug, I think it's a problem by me, maybe dis proper placement.
Is it possible to place a moon orbiting a planet orbiting a star? Because when I do, the moon crashes with the planet.

Is your time step too high?

smjjames

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 01:32:05 PM »
Maybe the timestep is too high? When placing bodies, it's set on auto-orbit by default, but if you have add bodies with no set velocity, you'll have to set the velocity and direction.

VladTheImpaler

• Prince of Wallachia
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 01:33:17 PM »
Well, I don't know which problem you are referring to, since I have two problems, sorry for the confusion.

smjjames

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 01:34:05 PM »

Timestep  is probably too high, but you may have to select all and click balance.

Bla

• Global Moderator
  • The stars died so you can live.
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 01:34:21 PM »
I don't think it's the timestep. It should just fling objects out into empty space rather than crash them into their parent body.

It sounds like you're launching the bodies at 0 m/s, so they'll just get attracted by the body with the strongest force and crashing into it.

There's an option for that near the area where you choose the body. I can't post a screenshot. But there's an option to place a body which automatically orbits the body with the greatest force on it. If you can't make it work, there's also an auto orbit button in the menu you get when you left click on a planet.

smjjames

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 01:35:10 PM »
Well, I don't know which problem you are referring to, since I have two problems, sorry for the confusion.

I was referring to the first one in that post.

Edit: you guys type fast......