Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My star system  (Read 7392 times)

Deathzilla7

My star system
« on: June 12, 2011, 02:57:48 AM »
I started making a star system. It currently has 3 planets and 2 stars (binary ftw!!)

Here's some pics. Notice that Techniphosia is a planet, but so is Molybdenoria, which orbits around it.
Hydrauminia is a gas giant way out, more than Jupiter.

BTW, How do I find my screen caps? I edited these using MS Paint. Dunno the folder.

Deathzilla7

Re: My star system
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 02:58:55 AM »
Notice how Molybdenoria orbits Techniphosia. They both also have a moon and Molybdenoria is a moon itself OF Techniphoria. Cool idea, eh?

Here's some of the specs:

Aquarius IX: 2.0 suns
Pisces VII: 1.0 suns
Techniphoria: 30.0 Earths
Molybdenoria: 2.7 Earths
Lunis: 1.0 moons
Aurus: 1.43 moons
Hydrauminia: 65.3 Earths
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 03:03:26 AM by Deathzilla7 »

shadowhunter388

• "United We Stand. Divided We Fall."
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 04:12:06 AM »
Nice :D My system, "Angel Star System" was going to be binary but my sun messed up and swallowed the other half way through so I decided to leave it as a single star. But Binary ROCKS! XD

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 03:54:41 PM »
Cool stuff. Thanks for sharing.

The screenshot folder is in your Documents folder:
(My) Documents > Universe Sandbox > Images

You can also open this folder from the folder button on the screenshot popup window (click the >> next to the camera icon in the lower left corner of the Universe Sandbox window).

Deathzilla7

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 05:43:10 AM »
Ok. I found the folder.

I had like 3 "My Documents" folders to look through though.

Omnigeek6

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 03:37:54 PM »
Astrophysics police and wet blanket brigade reporting for duty!

Aquarius IX is twice as massive as its companion, but about the same radius and a much lower temperature. This is not possible. A 2.0 solar mass main sequence star should have about 1.75 times the sun's radius, and be a hot white star with a temperature of over 8500 K. Sirius is an example of a 2 solar mass main sequence star.
For a 2 solar mass star to be orange-red like that (3000-3500 K) it would have to be a red giant, and would be so big that it would swallow its companion, and possibly the inner binary planet.

Also, the moons will be unstable; the two planets in the binary will be tidally locked to each other. Therefore, their rotational. periods will be equal to Molybdenoria's orbital period. Aurus is closer in than Molybdenoria, and so will have a shorter orbital period, and therefore have a shorter orbital period than its parent's rotational period. The same is true for Lunis. An object with an orbit faster than its parent's rotation will spiral in and collide with its parent due to tidal effects.

Deathzilla7

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 12:16:19 PM »
Well, I changed a bit to my star system. I just moved everything into the habitable zone. At least the ones that NEED to be habitable.

Also, added some more stuff.

Here are some pics.

Deathzilla7

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 12:17:12 PM »
Few more.

BTW, I hope these make the astrophysics police happy. :-P

I changed the star colours, removed Solace and Iceia from orbit around Techniphosia, and stuff.
But, I'm keeping Molybdenoria orbiting Techniphosia.

But, explain the tidal lock thing?? Maybe I'll move them around, if you can explain it. I want them each to have a day no more than about 72 hours...
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 12:23:34 PM by Deathzilla7 »

smjjames

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 01:05:05 PM »
Are tidal effects in US? It doesn't seem like it because I didn't give any of the objects rotation though. Allso, I've tried to give rotation to stars without it, but the rotation period doesn't save (plus the axis seems to go all over the place).

FiahOwl

• This is, to give a dog and in recompense desire my dog again.
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 01:07:04 PM »
Are tidal effects in US? It doesn't seem like it because I didn't give any of the objects rotation though. Allso, I've tried to give rotation to stars without it, but the rotation period doesn't save (plus the axis seems to go all over the place).

The rotational period saves, it just looks like it is at 0.

And there are no tidal affects.

smjjames

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 01:16:06 PM »
I guess that would be a bug then?

Anyways, I was wondering since the binary in my accretion system did shift its orbit very slightly, however since it's just the sma and orbital period that shifted by a decimal point (US doesn't show any fiurther than that with double digit numbers) and the fact that the sma shifted back up leads me to conclude that I'm seeing the effects of stellar wobble here (or what would be stellar wobble if it were scaled up). The fact that it shifted before the halfway point of the first orbital cycle had me a little worried that the binary was going unstable, but it doesn't look like I need to worry about it.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 03:27:55 PM by smjjames »