Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Backwards Flow of Time  (Read 5574 times)

phasma_phasmatis

Backwards Flow of Time
« on: May 08, 2011, 03:59:09 AM »
I just figured out that if you make the time step negative and that makes the simulation run in reverse.

Is this old news?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 04:06:54 AM by phasma_phasmatis »

Darvince

• 差不多
Re: Backwards Flow of Time
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 05:37:09 AM »
Enlighten me.

Joshimitsu91

• Hit me up on Steam: "Joshimitsu91"
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 06:34:33 AM »
Never noticed that before! Lol.

ChemicalBR0

• flying is just falling without hitting the ground
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 04:49:35 AM »
cool.
I was wondering if you could run time backwards.

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 03:00:22 PM »
This is a untested feature that results from not checking on the sign added to the time step textbox. :)

I'm not sure if anyone else has pointed this out.

Lazareth

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 09:03:28 PM »
Nice! I was curious about a way to "turn back time" such that you could replay certain periods of time in the simulation.

I'm planning to use this great piece of work for a roleplay campaign (IN SPACE!) that I will be GM'ing with my friends.

However, I'm curious about the exact implementation of the physics by you, Dan, since you say the negative timestep is an untested feature and not something you intended. Is the simulation time symmetric? I realize it must be calculating 'in reverse' and not actually playing back, so simulation inaccuracies would of course be magnified by 'playing over' the same period of time multiply times, but I'm more worried about sudden changes in physics than simulation accuracy :D

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 01:46:44 PM »
I realize it must be calculating 'in reverse' and not actually playing back, so simulation inaccuracies would of course be magnified by 'playing over' the same period of time multiply times...

Correct. For the best results. Save the simulation and reload it to prevent the magnification of inaccuracies.

... but I'm more worried about sudden changes in physics than simulation accuracy

It's doing the same math, but with a negative sign in front of the time step. There shouldn't be any sudden change or issue with accuracy that wouldn't happen with a positive time either.