Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Binary Planet puzzle  (Read 3208 times)

Hedd

Binary Planet puzzle
« on: May 08, 2011, 05:19:23 PM »
So for a challenge I've been recreating the Corellian system from Star Wars.  Most has been pretty straight forward (if a bit crowded at the "zone of life"..silly 5 inhabitable planets) but I've been having a bit of mind bender when trying to simulate the Talus/Tralus binary orbit.  I found a little tidbit in the beta forum and had success early but when making the attempt at it in a larger orbit (the solar year wasn't long enough) it doesn't seem to want to stick anymore and the barycenter wants to orbit one of the planets, not the sun anymore.  Binarying with the sun is wanting to slingshot the barycenter as well now.  Insight would be helpful.

Also on a side note, I've noticed I've occasionally lost moons after a save as well as having...er..odd results placing heavenly bodies afterwards as well.

(had originally posted in Help but after reading a bit it appears it might be more applicable in this forum)

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
Re: Binary Planet puzzle
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 02:58:55 PM »
Can you post the current state of the simulation?

It's not entirely clear what the problem is. :)

Hedd

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 07:07:36 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmaGFrf7BJE

Perhaps I'm doing it in the wrong order, I'm not sure though I've been having the same issues with moons recently too.

Hedd

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 09:05:13 PM »
It looks like I managed to figure it out buy slowing it waaaay down and making sure the accuracy was maxed.  Seems like speed is everything in this which might make large systems with some outer orbits requiring alot of patience.

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 01:30:55 PM »
You're doing it right, but your time step is way too high (which is why the Earths don't orbit each other).

Try slowing it down to 15 minutes per step and see if that doesn't work.

Also be sure to save before you resume the simulation.