Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Realistic System from Scratch Tests  (Read 3555 times)

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
  • caught in the river turning blue
    • Paladin of Storms
Realistic System from Scratch Tests
« on: April 28, 2011, 06:50:51 PM »
So I came up with a good idea to create a good system that was built randomly, and doesn't eat up your CPU.

Here's my thinking: If you made 5 simple random systems with random assorted planets, orbiting Barnard's stars, you could get a good system out of the planets that were left. So, I wrote a step by step tutorial to create these with your own parameters.

What you need:
Universe Sandbox
5 stars
20 or so random planets
Moons (optional)

1. Open a new system.
2. Place a Barnard's Star, play the simulation and pause, and then place 4 more Barnard's Stars.
3. Change the mass of one of the stars, it doesn't matter which, up .01 solar masses to .17. This makes the next step work.
4. Select all of the stars, and then hit the "Orbit Parent" button. If you use the "Make binary orbit", you tend to lose all of the planets to getting eaten by the stars. If you "Orbit parent" stars with the same masses, they'll fall toward each other.
5. Add various planets to all of the stars, the method I used was classify the system that the star got. I gave each star either Mostly Jupiters, Gas Planets, All, Earths and Neptunes/Uranuses, or All Earths.
6. Play the simulation and wait. Post the results when you get one star or a stable system.

Here are my results so far:
System 1: Crash
System 2: Single star system, 2 planets: (.35 jup,  994396 km, .61; 1 earth, 575021 km, .49)

First Picture: System 1 when the last two stars were colliding
Second Picture: Stable System 1
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 07:16:04 PM by NeutronStar »

spaceranger

Re: Realistic System from Scratch Tests
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 03:24:39 AM »
This is a really cool idea, thanks for posting!  :)

LethalByte

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 04:49:25 AM »
Had a go :)
Started with (screen shot 1)

And after 32.7yrs end up with this (screen shot 2)

Most of the bodies were ejected from the system very quickly :)

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
  • caught in the river turning blue
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 04:52:49 PM »
Interesting. I had another run, but instead with 23 Wolf 359's. I got 6 star systems, and they seem to be travelling away from each other... I'll post up the results after I let it run a few years sim time.