Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Potential wish-list feature  (Read 2925 times)

Omnigeek6

Potential wish-list feature
« on: January 06, 2011, 10:03:13 PM »
I know you're already busy with updates, I'm just sort of throwing this out there as a suggestion...

When I use US2 to create my own systems, I find it very difficult to line up a moon's orbital plane with the axis of its parent planet, and at the moment have ended up making separate files to show each planet's moon system. So, my idea was that perhaps in a future update it could be made so that an object's orbital inclination was relative to its parent's axis, and its axis tilt was relative to its orbital plane.

Just thought this might be a nice feature...

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
Re: Potential wish-list feature
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 12:10:50 AM »
This is great feedback and a good idea.

The next update will improve the placement of objects but won't address this issue.

I'll think about how to make this work. There's still work to be done to make this kind of placement work.

You can use the orbital elements properties to adjust the orbit after you've placed it, but you're wanting to create moons in perfect orbital alignment with its parent which is not easy to do right now. Do I have that right?

Omnigeek6

Re: Potential wish-list feature
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 09:40:41 PM »
Yep. Basically, if I create a planet like Uranus, with a 90 degree axis tilt, and give it a moon with an orbital inclination of 0.0 degrees, I'd like for the moon's orbital plane to be parallel to the planet's axis.

In the current version, it takes a whole lot of fiddling with the inclination, Argument of pericenter and ascending node numbers, and even then because projected paths seem to always be relative to absolute space, I have to run the simulation a bit to see if it works.

Either way, I'm definitely looking forward to the next update!  :)