Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: [IDEA] Seismic activity, volcanoes and weather patterns  (Read 14245 times)

creeperz1211

• Hi?
[IDEA] Seismic activity, volcanoes and weather patterns
« on: November 17, 2014, 02:18:06 AM »
Hey, I was just wondering, in a future alpha release, can you add seismic activity, volcanoes and randomized weather patterns such as rain, storms, super cells, tornadoes, cyclones/hurricanes/typhoons etc.? That would be great.

BlackMane

• this account has seen all of my cringe phases oof
Re: [IDEA] Seismic activity, volcanoes and weather patterns
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 05:37:03 AM »
This is really what I would love to see! I would like to see Io's volcanoes active and hurricanes on earth!

Gordon Freeman

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 07:13:56 AM »
While I'm sure that GA could handle all of the visual effects right now, I think they want them to be linked to actual physical activity instead of just them being decorations. You wouldn't see volcanoes on Luna, would you?

creeperz1211

• Hi?
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 09:36:01 PM »
Yes. There should also be an option to turn of volcanoes on planets and moons but still, just an idea.

Gordon Freeman

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 09:41:55 PM »
What I mean is that the phenomena you mentioned need actual linking to real events.

For example, we need plate tectonics for volcanoes to form at real convergent boundaries, and hurricanes should form according to planet spin time and direction, as well as humidity and temperature.

Just having these randomized probably isn't very educational.

Plutonium

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 11:40:01 PM »
I believe the cloud coverage can be easily linked. Also, does Io have plate tectonics or it's volcanism has different mechanism??

Gordon Freeman

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 12:12:37 AM »
No, Io is stretched by Jovian tides, which melts its interior.

Plutonium

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 12:39:55 AM »
I read that tidal heating will be implemented. May be they will add volcanoes as well.

IMHO, given that phenomena like plate tectonics are mostly endogenic not much linking will be needed, as a cheap solution plate tectonics can be a texture static, given that the time to notice the plate movements is in orders of millions of years, so in most simulations it will appear static anyway. But it would greatly improve the visuals and realisticness. Also when they add modding support the user can change the texture of plate boundaries to make custom volcano chains, lava rivers, etc., etc....

creeperz1211

• Hi?
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 01:44:26 AM »
Also what about tsunami's that flood the land in a 'localized' sort of way instead of an impact flooding the earth all at once.

Plutonium

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 01:53:38 AM »
Even a small tsunami will be computationally very heavy.

Cryo

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2014, 09:08:14 PM »
This could be seen as last but could GA just modify the shockwaves to look like tsunamis?

Plutonium

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 12:59:31 AM »
What do you mean? Like a wave of earth?

DiamondMiner10

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2014, 02:16:52 PM »
I hope they add this. Sounds interesting. Anyways, I think that lava was in game before, and you could change the depth of the lava too. Im not sure why they removed it.

Hati Hroovitnisson

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2014, 05:46:28 AM »
Even a small tsunami will be computationally very heavy.

You'd have said that about shockwaves if someone suggested it before their implementation. Wish you people would stop coming at every neat suggestion with "It'll be too demanding". It keeps turning me off the forum.

Gordon Freeman

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2014, 06:21:01 AM »
I think he means three dimensional waves?

creeperz1211

• Hi?
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2014, 09:20:17 PM »
Yes 3d waves also.Something to make US² more realistic. It adds the capability for people to see what tsunamis are and what they look like, but all along a fun thing for Universe Sandbox².

smjjames

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2014, 09:38:01 PM »
I don't know about tsunami though because at the scales and heights we're looking at, they'd be invisible.

creeperz1211

• Hi?
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2014, 03:31:51 AM »
Unless your on the ground view.

Plutonium

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2014, 10:30:43 PM »
You'd have said that about shockwaves if someone suggested it before their implementation.

Are you a psychic or my wife to know what I would have said???

Shockwaves are a graphical feature and not simulated. Ever tried fluid simulation?? You can try to make a tsunami in 2D with Algodoo and see yourself how demanding it is. Also, they are not that "fun" when there are no nuclear power plants to destroy.

Gordon Freeman

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2014, 03:29:04 AM »
Also, they are not that "fun" when there are no nuclear power plants to destroy.

yeah but if human-scale ripples look pretty imagine planet-scale pebble skipping.

Plutonium

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2014, 05:43:15 AM »
Are we talking about realistic simulations or just eye candies?? If eye candies than it's a different story, I am pretty neutral towards water tsunamis if there is nothing to destroy with them but a lava tsunami is a different story. I would like to see one happening on a planet like Mustafar.

Hati Hroovitnisson

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2014, 07:52:32 PM »
You'd have said that about shockwaves if someone suggested it before their implementation.

Are you a psychic or my wife to know what I would have said???

Shockwaves are a graphical feature and not simulated. Ever tried fluid simulation?? You can try to make a tsunami in 2D with Algodoo and see yourself how demanding it is. Also, they are not that "fun" when there are no nuclear power plants to destroy.

The devs are looking at SPH simulation which for all intents and purposes is kinda the same deal. Computing in mass a bunch of objects with physical properties so as a group they mimic real life fluids. A tsunami handled through something simple such as texture manipulation like in from dust would be the least of your worries :P

Plutonium

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2014, 11:28:47 PM »
No need to explain me what SPH is, I am perfectly aware of it. And in the future, please avoid assuming what others would have said or what they worry about.

I look forward to see US2 as a simulation software where one can set the initial parameters, start the simulation and watch what would happen (more or less realistically) like you do it with the climate now.

Every tsunami-lover mentions From Dust. I would rather prefer the volcanoes from there but with a "special touch" of US2 that will make them throw ash clouds, alter the atmospheric composition and opacity which will lead to climatic changes that will eventually affect the possible life on the planet.

Did you try to make a tsunami in Algodoo?? Sure, it is not as graphically pleasing as From Dust but it is waaay more educational and fun. You can see how the bathimetry of the shore is affecting the height of the wave, what kind of structures will be more prone to destruction, etc., etc...

dylan

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2015, 01:52:35 PM »
Hey, I was just wondering, in a future alpha release, can you add seismic activity, volcanoes and randomized weather patterns such as rain, storms, super cells, tornadoes, cyclones/hurricanes/typhoons etc.? That would be great.

that is a vary good idea but i don't think that there should not be rain,super cells,or tornado's at all

Electrodynamix

• Australian Alpha Tester and Astronomer
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2015, 10:08:35 PM »
What I would like to see is water magma, ammonia, or water geysers.

creeperz1211

• Hi?
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2015, 10:04:12 PM »

that is a vary good idea but i don't think that there should not be rain,super cells,or tornado's at all
Dylan I disagree. You want Universe Sandbox² to be realistic right? These are features based on realism. Why do you think this shouldn't be added? Lots of other people want it, so why don't you?

Gordon Freeman

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2015, 06:31:23 AM »
Lots of other people want it, so why don't you?

"Lots of other people are Christian, why aren't you?"

inb4 Somebody says that religion has nothing to do with this
The basic point I'm trying to convey is that 99.99% does not round up to 100 if you're dealing with opinions

that is a *very good idea but i don't think that there should not be rain, super cells, or *tornados at all

Why not?

creeperz1211

• Hi?
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2015, 04:33:19 PM »
Who wouldn't want weather, earthquakes and volcanoes (Apart from Dylan)?

dylan

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2015, 05:02:09 PM »
it would be kind of cool for weather the happen because all of the clouds on earth in universe sandbox 2 move across the planet without changing shape

Unnamed25

• o hai
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2015, 02:44:24 PM »
Who wouldn't want weather, earthquakes and volcanoes (Apart from Dylan)?
People with bad computers.