Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: [BUG] Flickering Climate switch and RCP scenarios  (Read 3630 times)

acvyse

[BUG] Flickering Climate switch and RCP scenarios
« on: April 21, 2018, 06:48:34 PM »
Hi all,

1) I noticed when I change the time-step to 1 month/year per second, the Climate switch flickers on and off at high frequency.

2) RCP 8.5 does not seem to increase global mean surface temperature by ~4 C like the research shows. I am actually not completely sure if the RCP scenarios actually work.

Thanks! Sorry if these have been addressed already.

-ACV

Cesare

• Universe Sandbox 2 is my favourite simulator.
    • Cesare Vesdani
Re: [BUG] Flickering Climate switch and RCP scenarios
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 10:18:05 AM »
This climate flickering occurs all the time when I accelerate the simulation at a time step of 6 months per second. That causes the climate simulation to stop playing. This bug was there since Alpha 16, I remember, so please make sure that the developers are aware of it and fix it as soon as they can.

Jar

• Developer
    • Universe Sandbox
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 09:43:16 AM »
The climate component, by default, turns off when the simulation is running too fast for it to keep up. In the Climate tab you can change this behavior with the "Turn Off When Slow" toggle, and you can also manually set the timestep limit. If it's flickering back and forth, that's probably because the timestep is varying below and above the timestep limit.

Thanks for reporting the issue with the RCP scenario. These *should* still work, but it's certainly possible something is interfering.

Cesare

• Universe Sandbox 2 is my favourite simulator.
    • Cesare Vesdani
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 10:21:25 AM »
The timestep is one thing but it is also a bug because it causes the animation of the climate to complete come to a stand still and stop.

acvyse

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 10:21:59 AM »
Thanks Jar. Appreciate the response.

-ACV