Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Use Launch to create a system Fly Through?  (Read 3210 times)

emarksmi

Use Launch to create a system Fly Through?
« on: December 19, 2016, 02:13:20 PM »
I'm new to Universe Sandbox but an having a blast.  Last night I created a circularized mock-up of the inner solar system (minus the moons) and then put in a Jupiter size planet on a 30 degree inclined, highly elliptical orbit (.66 AU perihelion and 5 AU aphelion) and let it run to see how the system evolved.  It has been very interesting so far (I still have it running).

So, for my next experiment, I want to set up the solar system and then have different sized objects fly though it at different speeds to see how the system behaves and recovers/evolves.  This would be everything from a rogue planet to a neutron star flying through at different angles, distances, and speeds.

Is it possible to do this using the Launch feature?  In other words, can I set an object up to launch at the sun but miss by 3 AU?  Can I adjust the angles and initial speed and distance of the object  (ie, start at 60 AU, 40 degrees above the ecliptic, .25c, and pass through the ecliptic at 5 AU)?  I've played around with the Launch feature a little bit but this is the first time I've thought about using it to create something other than an actual collision.  If Launch isn't the right way to do this, what is a better way?

Angel Armageddon

• Destruction!
Re: Use Launch to create a system Fly Through?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 02:21:59 PM »
Yes.
You should be able to do this.
Just zoom way out, as far as you like, and pitch up or down.
Then select the launch tool, and change the launch speed (in kilometers) to how fast or slow you want the object your launching to go.

Jar

• Developer
    • Universe Sandbox
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 04:25:03 PM »
There are actually some great tools for setting up fly-throughs (we call them "encounters") in Universe Sandbox ². Launch is not the best for this, though.

Click Home > Open > Encounters > Hover over a sim tile and click the pencil icon to Open Advanced Settings.

I believe you'll be able to adjust every parameter you've mentioned. As long as you're interested in experimenting with encounters in our solar system and not custom systems, then this should do the trick!

Hope that helps.

emarksmi

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 04:36:49 PM »
Yes, our own solar system (at least for the moment).  I'll work with the encounters for awhile.  It sounds like they will give me a good start.  Thanks.