Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Stellar Evolution Screenshot & Video - June & July 2012  (Read 20182 times)

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
Stellar Evolution Screenshot & Video - June & July 2012
« on: June 15, 2012, 05:58:24 PM »
A screenshot and video from one of our first tests of the Stellar Evolution code for Universe Sandbox 3.

Video
A very rough video of Stellar Evolution. This is an early implementation of a HR (Hertzsprung-Russell) diagram:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hertzsprung%E2%80%93Russell_diagram
We're working on adding supernova explosions so that when the star disappears (as it currently does in the video) it will explode magnificently and leave behind a black hole, neutron star, or white dwarf.

Universe Sandbox 3.0 HR diagram

The y axis represents starting mass (big at the top, small at the bottom) and the x axis represents time (starts on the left and advances to the right).

You can see how some of the blue stars turn in to orange giants later in life and the row of white stars (with a starting mass equal to our own sun) grows as it gets older.

This screenshot and video represents Eric's work on implementing scientifically accurate stellar evolution and the graphics work of Georg.

Universe Sandbox 3 is a major update due out later this year for both Windows and Mac. This is a full rewrite of Universe Sandbox in a new 3D engine and will be a free update to everyone who has ever purchased Universe Sandbox through this website or on Steam.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 03:38:16 PM by Dan Dixon »

Kevin1994

• New Space will we ever get up there? I hope so.
Re: Stellar Evolution Screenshot - June 2012
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 06:01:04 PM »
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

can you put a vid?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 06:38:05 PM by Dan Dixon »

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 06:17:30 PM »
looks very nice.

It is toggaleble? this stellar evolution? And maybe we can adjust the age of a star? What about a young star colliding into an old one? Will the old star get a 'life expansion'? What happens when a star dies, or is that not implemented.

smjjames

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 07:28:22 PM »
Awesome/ :)

looks very nice.

It is toggaleble? this stellar evolution? And maybe we can adjust the age of a star? What about a young star colliding into an old one? Will the old star get a 'life expansion'? What happens when a star dies, or is that not implemented.

This.

Also, what about white dwarfs and pulsars/neutron stars?

How will you deal with brown dwarfs which are between the largest gas giants and the smallest red dwarfs?

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
  • caught in the river turning blue
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 12:05:37 AM »
Coooooooooooooool.

Needs more Linux though and I'll throw away Windows.

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 01:48:57 PM »
No, you silly Atomic, it's  very very hot. And awseeoeeme.

Desacabose

• ?
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 03:16:37 PM »
I have but one question, will there be supernovae?

mrt127

• The sky isn't the limit, footprints on the moon.
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 03:19:44 PM »
Dan is the Man!

FiahOwl

• This is, to give a dog and in recompense desire my dog again.
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 09:08:49 AM »
:o

I'm speechless :D

Yannos

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 11:19:28 AM »
Very interesting!

crimsonknight3

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 06:20:47 AM »
If you are implementing stellar evolution, will stars go supernova? Also I am really hoping you may be implementing a realism that i'm dying to see, if for example some stellar dust and gasses are orbiting a star, it would be great if they were capable of coalescing and becoming planets. Being able to just place a star and dust then watch a solar system evolve would be amazing... Not knowing what and where planets and moons will grow... I would really like to see this in the future as at the minute the dust is really just aesthetic and doesn't seem to interact with anything, just gets thrown around a bit and while pretty, not very accurate. Thanks :)

[edit] Also i just had a thought, i love the look of the stellar evolution, will there at some point be a dynamic textures option? E.g. If earth reaches a temperature to hot to hold liquid water or even an atmosphere, to change from looking like earth to something more similar to mars? or too cold and turn into a frozen planet? This would be great to see
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 06:25:01 AM by crimsonknight3 »

clockworks

• Connor
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 08:39:12 AM »
golly gosh i just spelunked

APODman

• Universe Sandbox 1 Beta Team
    • Astronomic Picture of the Day - Brazil
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 09:20:18 AM »
Splendid ! Really amazing !

[ ]´s

jjake1245

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2012, 12:41:59 PM »
National Geographic - Alien Worlds (Part 4)

start from 0:05 and watch till the end off the vid or watch the whole documentary :) this is what pulsars should look like in US3, also please have super and hypernoavi (sorry if its spelled wrong)

also can we have planet formation in US3?

{oh and dont forget these
-neutron star
-red dwarf
-white dwarf
-black dwarf}
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 04:50:19 PM by jjake1245 »

smjjames

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2012, 08:23:52 PM »
I think they already have red dwarfs in the stellar evolution, its the bottom row in the screenshot.

Neutron stars/Pulsars and white dwarfs should definetly be there.

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
Re: Stellar Evolution Screenshot & Video - June 2012
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2012, 06:03:14 PM »
Just added a video to the first post above. Enjoy and for those in the United States: Happy 4th!

Kevin1994

• New Space will we ever get up there? I hope so.
Re: Stellar Evolution Screenshot & Video - June & July 2012
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2012, 03:35:22 AM »
COOL!!  :o

jjake1245

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2012, 09:29:05 AM »
Dan, please add pulsars. look i the video i posted :)

smjjames

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2012, 11:20:46 AM »
Er, I think you mean white dwarf for the supernova in the OP. Question though, is the rough video of main sequence stars or were you trying to cover the whole HR diagram from the hypergiants on down?

Also, there is one point in the video where it looks pretty cool, at about 15 seconds when one of the blue giants blips out of existence and another balloons right behind it and fills the screen, there is a pretty cool visual effect as it goes supernova.

It'd be cool if you also included the simulation time in the video just to get a better sense of the timescale as its running.

@jjake: A pulsar is a neutron star and he said in the op that they're working on it.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 11:30:17 AM by smjjames »

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2012, 03:42:53 PM »
Er, I think you mean white dwarf for the supernova in the OP.

Ahh... thanks. Fixed.

Question though, is the rough video of main sequence stars or were you trying to cover the whole HR diagram from the hypergiants on down?

It was a just a small collection of stars, not trying to be comprehensive.

Also, there is one point in the video where it looks pretty cool, at about 15 seconds when one of the blue giants blips out of existence and another balloons right behind it and fills the screen, there is a pretty cool visual effect as it goes supernova.

If we're talking about the same thing, that's bug with the star surface texture. We're still working on the supernova explosions.

It'd be cool if you also included the simulation time in the video just to get a better sense of the timescale as its running.

Agreed. This video was made to share internally, not really designed for public consumption. But we thought we'd share it anyway. :)

jjake1245

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2012, 03:45:50 PM »
cool, :) . still cant wait to see the supernova explosions. will there be sound?

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2012, 03:51:33 PM »
cool, :) . still cant wait to see the supernova explosions. will there be sound?

A cinematic (non-realistic) sound option is part of the plan.

smjjames

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2012, 07:11:43 PM »

A cinematic (non-realistic) sound option is part of the plan.

If anything, the sound would come from the electromagnetic waves made during the explosion itself. Maybe you can ask around about that? Still though, you can have realistic cinematic supernova with sound (which is the only non-realistic part).

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2012, 07:21:32 PM »
If you missed the news, we have an astronomer working on Universe Sandbox full time now. I know he'll have some thoughts on how to model the sound in a way that has some link with reality (even though there is no sound in space). :)

So we're going to add sound (which you can always turn off), that doesn't mean we're compromising on the realism we're bringing to the rest of the simulation.

smjjames

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2012, 07:23:53 PM »
If you missed the news, we have an astronomer working on Universe Sandbox full time now. I know he'll have some thoughts on how to model the sound in a way that has some link with reality (even though there is no sound in space). :)

So we're going to add sound (which you can always turn off), that doesn't mean we're compromising on the realism we're bringing to the rest of the simulation.

Scientists have made 'sounds of saturn' and other stuff, which is really the radio waves, magnetic fields, etc.

Still though, explosions are always more fun with sound. :)

mrt127

• The sky isn't the limit, footprints on the moon.
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2012, 09:04:04 AM »
Dan, I have a question?

Will a black hole swallowing up an object look more realistic?

And also I heard some where that you can never actually see an object get eaten by a black hole because of you know speeds and all that, anyone know if that is true?

Unreal2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2012, 12:25:29 PM »
Question for ya Dan, I saw in the video you are running a good 25-30FPS, what are your system specs?  Just would like to compare and see if I can attempt to match how good it looks so far ;) 

smjjames

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2012, 01:11:23 PM »
Dan, I have a question?

Will a black hole swallowing up an object look more realistic?

And also I heard some where that you can never actually see an object get eaten by a black hole because of you know speeds and all that, anyone know if that is true?

You can until it goes past the event horizon.