Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Creating systems with moons?  (Read 6033 times)

Manok

Creating systems with moons?
« on: May 24, 2011, 06:09:21 PM »
Whenever I create a solar system it doesn't matter where I put anything, it just goes into the orbit it wants, it doesn't matter how many things are in it, if I do, say, sun, earth, orbiting sun, I try and make a moon orbiting earth, the moon orbits the sun, what am I doing wrong?

Darvince

• 差不多
Re: Creating systems with moons?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 07:53:09 PM »
Set the center of orbits to the planet you're making moons for, and see what they're orbiting.

Naru523

• Universe Sandbox 1 Beta Team
  • let's walk the true path of life
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 10:34:42 PM »
Put hill spheres up and put the moons in the sphere.

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 11:13:02 PM »
Most likely you are placing the planet too close to the star which makes anything in orbit around the planet very unstable.

Try moving the planet much further out from the star and try again.

Naru's suggestion is a good one. Select the planet, check the "Hill Sphere" check box for the planet in the properties panel. This shows a sphere in which objects placed inside will generally be stable, but outside they will not.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hill_sphere

GigabyteWaffle

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 07:42:17 PM »
This shows a sphere in which objects placed inside will generally be stable, but outside they will not.

Yeah, usually they'll be stable. However if you have a Star -> Planet -> Moon system and you put a submoon in orbit around the moon, even if you put the it inside the main moon's Hill Sphere, eventually it will crash into it. Just some handy info for you. :)

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 10:04:40 AM »
The Hill sphere boundary only considers the 'moon' and its 'planet'. If that planet is also orbiting a star, its effects are not considered.

Thanks for pointing this out.