Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: US runs better for me when i have music playing in iTunes??????  (Read 4277 times)

bessy

• Universe Sandbox 1 Beta Team
US runs better for me when i have music playing in iTunes??????
« on: November 08, 2009, 12:59:07 PM »
yer US works better when playing music in iTunes

setting i have on

bounce mode
dust off
labels off
impact marks off as it causes bad fit causing flashes when i look parallel along them?? not sure y but don't care it has to do with anti-lasing option in graphics card not program issue as works fine without AL..

out of program enhancements
Nvidia program enhancer
anti-lasing               =x4 override program
anisotropic filtering =x16 override program
true-res                  =1680x1050x59p/s enhance program settings
threaded                 =enabled (where possible)

normal with out music i would get around 200 moons smashing into each other etc before i get slowdown noticeable to me

with iTunes playing music i can get up to 300 before i start to get slowdown noticeable to me

is it me or is that a tad bit weird

any 1 else tried this???

iTunes seems to be the only program i get a noticeable improvement from other than having the US forum up

Chaotic Cow

• President of Bovine Relations
    • Facebook
Re: US runs better for me when i have music playing in iTunes??????
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 08:22:12 AM »
Sounds like a coincidence, but Dan should reply.

Bla

• Global Moderator
  • The stars died so you can live.
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 09:39:47 AM »
Computers might sometimes be faster and sometimes be slower, depending on the temperature, how fragmented the data is etc. If you kept trying and made a statistic, you might get another result; logically, a music program that uses some of the capacity of the computer for playing sound can only slow it down, if it doesn't have a built in program that does something and speeds the computer up somehow by... I don't know. But now I've got my daily logical thinking time, thanks for something to think about.

bessy

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 06:38:36 PM »
i think i got a idea whats causing it for some reason when im using US by its self a program called Ai nap runs
as it thinks im not using my computer i goes into something called power saving mode iTunes stops it from running
but so should US donno why it doesn't register that its a taxing program

also after monitoring my cores for instance

core 2 & core 3 seem to stop completely when this is active

and when my computer is runing normal 2.49Ghz  i run iTunes and the cores increase in clock its random to how high it goes but its something AMD have in there cores it says you need AM2+ board and vista which i do
i didn't even know i had that feature

still i have no idea why it doesn't register but what the hell ill just run iTunes and play music

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 05:12:19 PM »
It doesn't make sense to me that running iTunes would increase your performance. That's odd.

You can turn on the frame rate (FPS = Frames Per Second) by pressing Alt+F

Run the same simulation, from the same camera view, with the same UI visibility settings to compare rates.

bessy

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 07:08:49 PM »
iv found some interesting things about what my computers been up to with out my knowing vista ultimate has some interesting tools 1 of which tells how healthy your computer is whats been running how much its been taking up everything and it gos wayback almost a year that explains a load of space i cannot account for on c

and it tells a tail about windows media player that starts running by its self and recording tons of tv i got like 400GB back today wow and it explains how sometimes i got good speed and sometimes i got crap thats not all
Ai nap appears to slow my computer down as when its running the graph shows everything to peak as if they suddenly got real taxing

and i see how taxing US is also lol iv only turned my computer off 14 times this year and all for windows updates

i dig deep and i get 400GB freed from crapy soaps and stupid media crap on bbc etc etc. stupid thing is i went thru all that its recorded over the year and its nout but crap i mean common lol atleast ya coulder recorded something worth wile

i also found how its seemingly getting the idea it needs to record this crap and windows gets auto start program from windows media player "which is actually windows media center btw" and it seems to come from the tv listings download it gets every week i find it interesting that a unauthenticated update such as the tv listings manages to take over my computer in such away.. i mean it has the capability to to massive harm in the wrong hands if ya know what i mean

any way you are right about it being strange so as you can see i had a dig around

also frame rate sticks at 24 all the time it flickers to 23 for a frame or 2 but 99% of the time its stuck at 24 no matter what i add i added over 200 moons on bounce and still 24 it only started to drop at about 230 240

this is with only your app running i made sure of it

then i started itunes it droped loads at first down to 11FPS but then it went back to normal and only flickered abit when it changed track etc

also i only run this on 1 core and thats core 1 i donno with US supports multi threading etc. and itunes is set to core 3