Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Planetary Generator  (Read 3740 times)

SuperNova

• Universe Sandbox 1 Beta Team
  • ROW ROW, FIGHT THE POWAH!
    • Dreadnaught BG
Planetary Generator
« on: January 25, 2013, 03:11:07 PM »
Hey Dan, I liked to know how much progress you made on the the generation of random systems.
Its already great in US2, tough they are all the same size.

Are there any big improvements? Its one of my favorite features, I always like to see the outcome!

tuto99

• Baba Booey
Re: Planetary Generator
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 03:55:37 PM »
I bet it's awesome now.
Oh and Dan, how will your procedural planet generation work? Will closer dust and particles from a star form rocky planets, and colder, farther particles form gas planets and whatnot?

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 11:28:49 AM »
Good question...

To be fair, we haven't really spent much time on this yet. Early on we hooked up the code found here:
http://www.eldacur.com/~brons/NerdCorner/StarGen/StarGen.html
... but as Eric, our astronomer, has pointed out... there have been so many advances in our understanding of extra solar systems, that the simulations it generates are not as representative as they could be.

It's definitely on our list and something that Eric has mentioned he's looking forward to developing...

We have spent much more time on procedural planets so far... right now we're working on merging the procedural system (which has adjustable oceans) with the known textures of our solar system. This is going to open up some awesome possibilities...

karakris

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 01:10:56 PM »
Does than mean that your new Version may be able to Generate Planets TO ORDER ??

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 02:14:29 PM »
Does than mean that your new Version may be able to Generate Planets TO ORDER ??

More or less... yep. :)