Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: exoplanet being ostracized  (Read 3758 times)

Yannos

exoplanet being ostracized
« on: January 08, 2013, 01:20:45 PM »
Recently I read this article which describes how a binary system can be "dangerous" for a planet orbiting one of the stars.

http://www.space.com/19141-alien-planets-two-stars-dangerous.html

So I created a really simple model to recreate the planet's "violent exit from the system.

A few basic things for those who want to reproduce the phenomenon:
-Binary stars usually have similar masses.
-Some binary systems consist of stars that orbit their gravity center. Not the case in the model I created. In this particular case the smaller star just orbits the larger in a high eccentricity value.
-You should use an exoplanet for the model. The further away from the star the most prone to be affected by external forces.

It is something really simple but I find it fun to create models based on these articles and I am sure I am not alone.

unl0cker

Re: exoplanet being ostracized
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 02:43:30 PM »
There are orbits that can go a little "easier" on the planet. I made one not long ago that was quite intriguing to watch, as the stars "dance" up and down from my perspective and the planet follows nicely.

Obviously this was only possible due to the huge (about 8 to 12 AU) distance between the stars.

Go here to grab the .ubox for the simulation.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 02:48:00 PM by unl0cker »

Omnigeek6

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 11:36:34 PM »
Note that this is only applicable to binaries with an SMA of a thousand AU or more, like 55 Cancri. At alpha-centauri-like separations, I'd imagine the stars have such a strong gravitational grip on each other that perturbations didn't change the eccentricity much.

Also note that planets in the habitable zone wouldn't be disrupted - at least not directly. However, objects scattered inward by the companion star could collide with inner planets, or if said object were large enough, become a gravitational threat themselves.

Yannos

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 09:29:43 AM »
Ah I see, thanks for the info and the simulation guys. i just grabbed it and I am about to watch it.

smjjames

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 10:12:29 AM »
Note that this is only applicable to binaries with an SMA of a thousand AU or more, like 55 Cancri. At alpha-centauri-like separations, I'd imagine the stars have such a strong gravitational grip on each other that perturbations didn't change the eccentricity much.

Also note that planets in the habitable zone wouldn't be disrupted - at least not directly. However, objects scattered inward by the companion star could collide with inner planets, or if said object were large enough, become a gravitational threat themselves.

Yeah, like the marauding gas giant(s) that I had when simulating planetary accretion with the Alpha Centauri system (minus Proxima since its too far away to matter gravitationally). Also, the stars will often swap objects with each other.