Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Universe Sandbox on Raspberry Pi Linux Computers  (Read 11815 times)

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
  • caught in the river turning blue
    • Paladin of Storms
Universe Sandbox on Raspberry Pi Linux Computers
« on: November 14, 2012, 10:03:54 PM »
Unfortunately, the Raspberry Pi (it specifically) wouldn't be able to run Universe Sandbox (as far as I know at least, it seems highly unlikely), though a more advanced version that does not currently exist might be able to do so.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 05:05:51 AM by Dan Dixon »

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
Re: Universe Sandbox is Now Free to Schools
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 10:11:28 PM »
Yeah... looks like a no on the Raspberry Pi for Universe Sandbox 3:
http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/270196/unity-on-a-raspberry-pi.html

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

phinehas

• Regular sans EE
Re: Universe Sandbox is Now Free to Schools
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 10:42:18 PM »
<censored>
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 08:51:01 PM by phinehas »

phinehas

• Regular sans EE
Re: Universe Sandbox on Raspberry Pi Linux Computers
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 11:52:21 AM »
<censored>
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 08:51:09 PM by phinehas »

Ethan

• My other car is a big blue box
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 01:04:55 PM »
Can you still try to get universe sandbox to work for the Raspberry PI because the intention for the Raspberry Pi is to be a low cost programmable computer AND it is cheap enough for 3rd world countries.

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 01:25:10 PM »
It would not be possible without developing a version outside of Unity.

"The Linux Export feature [in Unity 4.0, the tool Universe Sandbox 3 is being written in] cannot be used for the Rasberry Pi because the Rasberry Pi uses ARM architecture and we will only be exporting for Linux on x86 and amd64 architectures from Unity."

Ethan

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 01:10:35 PM »
Well here is my other question is universe sandbox supported on android? because if it is you can use android on a raspberry pi and theoretically it would work

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 03:48:35 PM »
Currently we're only considering support for the platforms supported by Unity:
http://unity3d.com/unity/multiplatform/

The only platforms that we've announced so far are Windows, Mac, and probably Linux.

Ethan

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 12:51:55 PM »
Well if it works for Linux and the Raspberry PI is Linux why doesn't universe sandbox work on it?

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 01:17:31 PM »
please read:

"The Linux Export feature [in Unity 4.0, the tool Universe Sandbox 3 is being written in] cannot be used for the Rasberry Pi because the Rasberry Pi uses ARM architecture and we will only be exporting for Linux on x86 and amd64 architectures from Unity."

Ethan

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 12:59:03 PM »
Ok but what about ARM architecture prevents Universe Sandbox from working on a Linux system?

unl0cker

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 05:39:15 PM »
It means that the program has to be compiled (from code to binary) to a specific architecture, in this case "x86".  Can Universe Sandbox run on mips architecture? No it can't. It can't also run on sparc, alpha, itanium, AND arm, or anything different than the one it was compiled to. Even your linux is compiled to arm architecture. Goes like this architecture first, then platform.

In order this happen the source of the program has to be patched in many ways so that the kernel (the os) of the host architecture will able to "understand" what that binary is trying to do. These patches most of times are very difficult to be made, and sometimes is like writing an entirely different program, just to accomplish the same result that was obtained in the previous architecture.

I'm really outdated but as far as I know, there are programs that do their best to be cross-platform, like java or adobe's air, but besides being only cross-platform not cross-architecture, they in fact are not really programs but scripts that  are interpreted by other real programs, like the java virtual machine for java. So the "java" is cross-platform, but the interpreter is not, these interpreters of scripts have to be complied to a specific architecture, and a specific platform of that architecture, like x86's/64 of osx or windows.

So the issue is a bit more complicated than it looks like at first view. ARM will be great, but let Dan fix us some 3 points first, then we can talk about ARM. hehe :-]
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 05:53:18 PM by unl0cker »

Ethan

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 12:54:44 PM »
Ok thank you for clearing things up but (I'm not sure if I'm interpreting this right) i think you mentioned something about converting programs (like universe sandbox) to work on other architectures. I'm not sure if that's what you mean could you clarify that?

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 11:16:56 PM »

So Intel & AMD processors for computer that run Windows and Mac are mostly x86 and amd64/x86-64 processors. Have you heard of Windows 8 RT? This is a version of windows that will not run on x86 or x86-64 processors, but ARM processors.

Linux has different versions for x86 and ARM, but we are limited to the export options supported by Unity, which at the moment are what is listed above. So until Unity adds support for exporting for Windows on ARM processors the next version of Universe Sandbox won't run on Windows RT machines either.

Ethan

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2013, 12:58:44 PM »
Ok I took a closer look at the huge paragraph that explained why the raspberry Pi wont work and i understand it a lot better but i have one last question is it possible for something to be supported on 2 different architectures? or do you need to make a copy of the original program and then modify it for use on another architecture?

EoD

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2013, 11:42:02 AM »
Currently we're only considering support for the platforms supported by Unity:
http://unity3d.com/unity/multiplatform/

The only platforms that we've announced so far are Windows, Mac, and probably Linux.

Nice to hear that you are going to support Linux.

I don't understand why Unity declines to support ARM. Yes, I know the difference between architectures, but there is a huge Android symbol to the top right of the "supported OS" list. As far as I know most Android system are running on some kind ARM, but Unity doesn't support ARM?