Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: System map  (Read 3514 times)

Kaziarl

System map
« on: October 21, 2012, 05:12:40 PM »
Is there any way to "map" our systems and get something like this: http://im.glogster.com/media/4/12/69/51/12695179.gif

I know we can project paths, but the paths aren't that clear since it only goes so far ahead of the system and then shows the planet leaving it's orbit and heading for interstellar space.

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
Re: System map
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 05:23:44 PM »
you can also use trails and set the trail length to very long, then run the simulation for a while. that should prevent them from seeming to veer off into space.

smjjames

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 05:26:17 PM »
Right now, the projections have problems showing whether the orbit will even return or not when the object is a great distance from it's sun or whatever it's orbiting. The projections will be much, much more accurate in Ubox3.

you can also use trails and set the trail length to very long, then run the simulation for a while. that should prevent them from seeming to veer off into space.

Yeah, this ^. The projection really only shows what the path would look like at that instant, so if there are nearby objects or it's going close to an object, it can seem like it's going to slingshot out to interstellar space.

Kaziarl

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 05:49:38 PM »
Thanks, I'll try that. Another question, is it possible to make a binary pair orbit a third body? I've been trying, but they just keep crashing into the third body.

smjjames

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 05:54:05 PM »
You should be able to by having the binary pairs barycenter orbit a third body.

Theres a post somewhere that explains how, but I forget where it is, do a search for either binary or maybe barycenter.

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 06:23:09 PM »
Thanks, I'll try that. Another question, is it possible to make a binary pair orbit a third body? I've been trying, but they just keep crashing into the third body.

move them farther apart

BinaryMoonsOrbitPlanet