Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: black hole gravitational effects  (Read 4481 times)

fox

black hole gravitational effects
« on: July 12, 2012, 12:49:19 PM »
Hi folks, I was messing around with a large black hole, and found this effect after turning two large stars to dust:

Is there a name for this effect? It seems to be caused partly by tidal effects. The black hole is about 90m suns in mass, rotating at a very high rate, and has a diameter of less than a mm for reference, and the dust is orbiting from 0.95c to a little over c

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
Re: black hole gravitational effects
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 01:17:48 PM »
an 'accreation disk' i guess. objects closer naturally orbit faster. (btw i don't think the rotation rate of the blackhole does anything.

11JRidding

• I love Universe Sandbox
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 01:33:02 PM »
The first screenshot is the Accretion Disk [Event Horizon] that orbits the Black Hole. The second screenshot looks like a Gamma Burst, but it could be the simulation looked on by side view.

smjjames

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 02:02:59 PM »
Whats the weird blurred 'reflection' in the middle of both images?

The first one does look like an accretion disk and the second one is just looking at it from a side view.

It would be awesome to see what it looks like with Ubox3.

fox

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 02:22:05 PM »
Thank you for the replies. the weird glow is some bug I have with the glow option, I'm not sure why it's there. The second image is a side view after the dust in the original photo stabilized.

I found my answer, on top of the tidal effects, it started off orbiting.. adding 4 clouds of dust in a square around the black hole creates a normal ring.

Danny2306

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 01:24:38 PM »
The first is indeed an accretion disk, the second, should be a quasar. Which is the same as a GRB, but for black holes, If I'm right, the Gamma Ray Burst is the moment a VERY large star collapses into a black hole, and emits lots of gamma rays during the process.

I'm probebly wrong on the quasar part; it has another name when particles, instead of electromagnetic waves are emited.

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 03:05:34 PM »
Just to clear up a bit on some terminology: a quasar is an active galactic nuclei, a supermassive blackhole at the center of a galaxy which chews up matter and spits out energy.