Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How do you simulate?  (Read 6326 times)

FiahOwl

• This is, to give a dog and in recompense desire my dog again.
How do you simulate?
« on: December 06, 2011, 03:54:27 PM »
When I'm simulating, visual effects are not needed.

FiahOwl

• This is, to give a dog and in recompense desire my dog again.
Re: How do you simulate?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 03:56:46 PM »
Also, the sim I'm running is a moonbuilder sim.

deoxy99

• Universe Sandbox 1 Beta Team
  • ✨ the name's verb ✨
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 04:03:54 PM »
How do I simulate? I go outside. :P

smjjames

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 04:15:53 PM »
Yea, I've found that it runs LOADS faster with the trails off, dust of course slows things down, not sure if the impact marks slow it down or not.

Turning on the highlights and toggling the show actual size seems to have no effect on simulation speed.

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 07:21:54 PM »
ummm hi.

i like, depends on what i'm doing a simulation on. Normally turn everything down and leave it on all night.

Bla

• Global Moderator
  • The stars died so you can live.
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 10:02:04 AM »
I usually let it run big sims some special day, when I may leave the computer and not have time to play games, so I can check it once in a while.
I haven't tried letting simulate for a whole night, because I don't want to waste power, but if I could somehow determine for how long a sim would be "interesting" after starting it, I might do that one day. I don't want to make a sim of a planetary ring with massive bodies in it, if I risk that all the bodies merge into one moon like 50 minutes after I leave, and the com just wastes power on simulating a moon orbiting a planet for 8 hours.

At other times I just do random things in the sim if I have a few minutes before I have to go or before I go to bed, or if I don't know what to do.

But no, I minimize the program or turn off the screen when I'm not watching the sim. I don't know what determines if it renders the sim or not, maybe it always renders it...

smjjames

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 10:11:24 AM »
It always calculates it when minimized, or at least is not the active window.

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 10:28:25 AM »
I mean renders it visually, I know it always calculates the positions.

deoxy99

• Universe Sandbox 1 Beta Team
  • ✨ the name's verb ✨
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 11:06:37 AM »
Wow, no one thought my joke was funny. :(

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 11:43:32 AM »
Wow, no one thought my joke was funny. :(
No one stated that they thought your joke was funny, but maybe they thought it without stating it. :)

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 12:52:39 PM »
I usually let it run big sims some special day, when I may leave the computer and not have time to play games, so I can check it once in a while.
I haven't tried letting simulate for a whole night, because I don't want to waste power, but if I could somehow determine for how long a sim would be "interesting" after starting it, I might do that one day. I don't want to make a sim of a planetary ring with massive bodies in it, if I risk that all the bodies merge into one moon like 50 minutes after I leave, and the com just wastes power on simulating a moon orbiting a planet for 8 hours.

At other times I just do random things in the sim if I have a few minutes before I have to go or before I go to bed, or if I don't know what to do.

But no, I minimize the program or turn off the screen when I'm not watching the sim. I don't know what determines if it renders the sim or not, maybe it always renders it...

For galaxy collisions, i turn up the time step with low dust multiplier, and then determine how much i want to record. This way, i can set the time step till where it'll be finished exactly when i wake up.

With the accreation disks you'd have to test it out though. Maybe make some formula (or find one, i've found formula's for the strangest things)